Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Ensigns/flags

Easticks28 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tugw View Post
    Only objectionable to those who object to anything they can object to.

If you find wearing the blue objectionable then dont do it.
    No objection to 'the blue' - only to the arrogance of so many who fly it!

Quote Originally Posted by Easticks28 View Post
    First time I have been called arrogant. I did not realise that we had met.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post
    On the rare occassions that I wear a tie it will be an Old School or Regimental one.

I doubt that more than one in a million would notice, one in twenty million would comment and one in fifty million would be offended.

So what does that make me? a snob? an elitist? or just somebody who does not give a **** about what others may think but wears the tie because it means something to ME?

That is the way I feel about my military defaced blue ensign.
    That seems to me to be wholly acceptable.

As an island race, it does seem a shame that we cannot unite under one maritime flag.

The Blue Ensigns do obviously serve a purpose to some sailors.

In our recent history, 60,000 sailors died serving under the Red Ensign. Most had hardly had the means of firing back. The conditions they served under were also pretty horrendous. Only in fairly recent years has their contribution been fully understood and appreciated.

Many of the families of the dead are also still living. I am not saying you should change whatever you decide to do, but to you at least understand how some people feel ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Woodlouse is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    As an island race, it does seem a shame that we cannot unite under one maritime flag.

The Blue Ensigns do obviously serve a purpose to some sailors.

In our recent history, 60,000 sailors died serving under the Red Ensign. Most had hardly had the means of firing back. The conditions they served under were also pretty horrendous. Only in fairly recent years has their contribution been fully understood and appreciated.

Many of the families of the dead are also still living. I am not saying you should change whatever you decide to do, but to you at least understand how some people feel ?
    30,000 according to http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignRoyalNavy.htm page. Combine it with the RN losses though during the same period and you get over 95,000 killed and wounded serving under all three of our Ensigns. Personally, as long as there is a union jack in the corner I think you are showing all the respect necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    Why don't fishermen get a special ensign? I come from a family of fishermen (albeit in Spain), shouldn't I get a special ensign? Maybe a red one defaced with a fish or something?
    Well if you are a Spanish fisherman operating over here, you have a flag already - the skull and crossbones.

Quote Originally Posted by ukmctc View Post
    What a long thread about nothing, there is no law enforced in UK waters about ensigns flown or not for leisure craft. If there was this thread wouldn't be here. I fly the NZ flag or the Scottish ensign on mine, the wife is a Kiwi and I'm Scottish, when overseas I fly the same ones with no problems at all, the boat is registered in the UK in Scotland and therefor Scottish but who really cares.
    For all the distance people travel in UK waters most might as well just hang the washing from the stern!
    There was a case once where a British consul ( in Portugal I believe) exercised his legal right to board a british vessel ( a small yacht) in port and confiscate the incorrect flag that the boat was flying. I believe the flag was an extremely tatty and frayed red ensign. The skipper was fined.

Seagreen is offline Registered User

I usually fly a big red one off the mizzen peak. But then again I like to fly this one, just to annoy the cornish.

They seem to be getting a lot more popular judging by the number of sellers now rather than just the one when I bought mine. But honestly, does anyone really care? Sure I do get annoyed when a large mobo chugs annoyingly past moorings with a blue ensign. I get just as annoyed when a tw@t on a jetski hurtles past, in fact, more so. The colour of the ensign, or not, matters not a bit, though it may start a conversation if you are rafted up to someone with an unusual one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veritas liberabit vos, nisi prius ea re doleas.
    http://www.pixiemarine.com/hi

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Easticks28 View Post
    Mind you I think that is well balanced by the inverse snobbery of the anti blue brigade.
    Peter

Yes, I have yet to see a thread started by a blue ensign chap castigating those who choose to wear red.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast