Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ensigns/flags

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    It was my understanding that you could apply to fly one in your own right if you are an officer, active or retired, in the RN or reserves of any Commonwealth country, of Lieutenant or higher. Captain for Royal Marines
    That is true. And all the officers went to Eton and bought their commissions and don't do any work or pay any tax and get everything they want for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Easticks28 View Post
    Precisely the attitude which is SO objectionable!
    Just what is objectionable about someone earning a reward by their own efforts?

Especially a reward which clearly has value to them but negligible cost to the rest of us?

Can you explain yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by innesker View Post
    Just what is objectionable about someone earning a reward by their own efforts?
    Can you explain yourself?

I'm afraid still lost.

What is the 'earning a reward by their own efforts' actually mean.

Could you please describe the specific 'efforts' that lead to the award of being able to fly a Blue Ensign. So far, either you join a particular club open to all, or you are, or were, a member of the armed forces.

If I did National Service in the Army but never left the UK do I still qualify ?
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LONG_KEELER View Post
    If I did National Service in the Army but never left the UK do I still qualify ?
    Sorry to disappoint but, yes, you do. All you need is your Army Number.

Fill in the form:

http://www.sailarmy.co.uk/asa/pdf/as...rship_form.pdf

....and you can apply for a defaced blue ensign permit and joint the elite, like the rest of us.

You have earned the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by chinita View Post
    That is true. And all the officers went to Eton and bought their commissions and don't do any work or pay any tax and get everything they want for free.
    Of course, back in the Napoleonic era when that was more often the way of things, the only people sailing under blue ensigns were the officers and crews of the RN's Blue Squadron. Nice link with history.

Interestingly, I was reading that countries' ensigns are sometimes based on that of the RN squadron protecting the region. So while the White patrolled home waters, the Red (see Canadian pre-1965 and Bermudan flags) patrolled the Atlantic and the Blue (see Australia and New Zealand flags) patrolled SE Asia. Don't know how true it is exactly, but good story.
    Last edited by Flashy; 14-04-12 at 18:15.

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    It was my understanding that you could apply to fly one in your own right if you are an officer, active or retired, in the RN or reserves of any Commonwealth country, of Lieutenant or higher. Captain for Royal Marines (think that's the equivalent rank). You need to apply for a warrant still, just no YC is involved.

Fascinating stuff, you'll all agree!

Edit: by 'Commonwealth' I meant the countries where the Queen is still head of state.
    It's amazing how predjudice can mislead you
    Peter

robertj is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Scillypete View Post
    If you are in the Royal Navy or have served you can be a member of the RNSA ( http://www.rnsa.net/ ) and as a member and boat owner if you meet certain criteria you can then choose to fly a blue ensign if you wish but a permit will be needed.
    Do you know the criteria?
    My thoughts are if your services or ex service then blue is your colour but every one else like me is red?!

Quote Originally Posted by maxi77 View Post
    It's amazing how predjudice can mislead you
    Not sure I understand your post. A prejudiced reading of the Navy List regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by richardsn9 View Post
    I do know that in Denmark and Norway, they do not change the colour, but they do have a system of swallow tails and defaced crowns on them to denote what I presume are royal yacht clubs, so we are not alone in tinkering with our ensigns.
    Just to elaborate when it comes to Danish flags:

Danish-owned yachts that are used for leisure only (ie. no commercial activity, no hiring etc.) are allowed to wear the naval ensign with the letters "YF" (for Yacht Flag) in the upper corner. This flag has swallow-tails, and looks quite lovely.

Members of the Royal Danish Yacht Club can wear the same flag, under the same conditions, but with an additional three golden stars. Such as this: http://www.lystsejlads.dk/effekter/i...13-232-sub.jpg

I've never actually seen anyone use that flag, though I have seen a few ships with a crown and three stars on the transom, denoting membership of said club. There might be a slight bit of snobbery associated with this.

Some rowing clubs etc. also have special ensigns, and they tend to wear those on their boats. No snobbery seems to be associated with this use.

Quote Originally Posted by Penton Hooker View Post
    The Red Duster was good enough for the convoys of WWII, it therefor is an honour for us humble folk to be able to fly it. Who needs white or blue ones?
    With you all the way, I had two uncles that served in the MN from WW1 to WW2, including a Russian Arctic convoy and two invasion fleets, I also had a cousin who was torpedoed twice on his first voyage out of Middlesbrough - he also survived to later join the RN.
    Heroes all, without medals and whose pay stopped from the day their ship was sunk!

I did serve in the RN during National Service - but I'll stay with the Red Duster.
    Last edited by reginaldon; 14-04-12 at 18:52. Reason: addendum
    'Reinstate MadFrankie'

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast