Hybrid View

Default This would be enough for me to stop sailing.

I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

sarabande is offline Registered User

you can bet the Chinese Navy architects have a copy of the lines. These new configurations may be as ugly as anything but are they better sea boats, with a more stable weapons platform ?

Anyway, if that ran you over in the Solent, you might stand a chance of it passing completely overhead.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Looks like it will be wet in a head sea, bloody uncomfortable in a cross sea and have a terrifying sound track of creaks and groans. When they say light weight and state of the art structural design together, I hear cracks and repairs. Hope I'm wrong

Interesting there's three engines; two smaller ones in the outriggers.

32,000 litres of fuel tankage, max range 4000 miles, 8 litres per mile.

ostentatious
    adjective
    characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice

Wow, John Shuttleworth has come a long way from writing "Eggs and Gammon" and "Dandilion and Burdock". Kudos to his second career.....

Yacht Yogi is offline Registered User

Default HMS Triton

The Royal Navy experimented with a larger version of that trimaran configuration called HMS Triton a couple of years ago. Presumably not a successful experiment. It is still around as a research vessel named MV Triton. I think the US Marines also took a look at it for littoral warfare in shallow waters. The Marines seem to have stayed with hovercraft and the Royal Navy with conventional monohulls.

Says enough really. It looks fabulous in a Buck Rogers kind of way but probably doesn't work with real waves. I can't help thinking of those capsized multihulls in last year's Round The Island race (I know they had sails and got blown over but it's the staying inverted bit that worries me).

Quote Originally Posted by aslabend View Post
    Wow, John Shuttleworth has come a long way from writing "Eggs and Gammon" and "Dandilion and Burdock". Kudos to his second career.....