Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    truscott is offline Registered User

Default Android Basic GPS

Does anyone know of a basic GPS App for Android? I'm looking for something that gives a large readout of SOG, VMG Course to Steer, etc...

Much the same as you can get on the Garmin 72.

I already have the Navionics chartplotter app, so if someone knows how to configure that to do something similar to the above, I'd be most grateful (and yes, I know that I could always just use my Garmin 72).

Cheers, PT.

Have been Googling as I have android phone and an Android tablet with Navionics, so am interested in the same thing

Have you tried http://www.letscreate.dk/letscreate/?q=node/276. Looks good on the site. I havenot downloaded it - yet

TudorSailor

Registering my interest too..!

And if anyone can provide a suggestion that works outside of phone coverage areas, I would be all the more interested :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile Smile View Post
    Registering my interest too..!

And if anyone can provide a suggestion that works outside of phone coverage areas, I would be all the more interested :-)
    Your GPS is independent of phone coverage. Navionics on Tablet worked perfectly while sailing and has no phone connection at all!

TudorSailor

I use gps essentials compass view which came with motorola defy, does most of what you need. Navionics is good as well but no compass display.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

+1 for GPS Essentials .
    Work to live not live to work

truscott is offline Registered User

Thank you! Downloaded GPS Essentials and it is exactly what I was after. Now.... Anyone got an easy way to upload my Garmin 72 waypoints?

I keep getting an error report when I try to download . It says " the application google play store ( process . com. android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

But every time the same result. Any ideas? Could it be because I responded to the google privacy thing with a NO?

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Could it be because I responded to the google privacy thing with a NO?
    I think it might be. I don't use Android (or Google services beyond search) but I'm sure I heard a colleague say that he couldn't access the Android app store after turning off some Google snoopery setting.

Bit of a rubbish error message from a consumer device if nothing else.

Pete

GPS Essentials is fantastic! Well, I don't know whether it works or not, but 'on paper', it's good. V similar to Garmin 72, but with better ease of use and more options. Great find!