Thread: Marine Radio

Default Marine Radio

On my Bavaria yacht i have a XMDSC marine radio, and although it works perfectly well on most channels, i have great difficulty in receiving messages on channel 23 from the coastguard, does anybody have any advice other than buying a new radio
    Loves Sailing, Fortunately no Garden

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Dragon View Post
    On my Bavaria yacht i have a XMDSC marine radio, and although it works perfectly well on most channels, i have great difficulty in receiving messages on channel 23 from the coastguard, does anybody have any advice other than buying a new radio
    I take it your radio is set to the International channels not to US and that you do get some reception, albeit poor.

The aerials Solent Coastguard use are directional... is 23 the best one for where you are listening....... I forget which one I use in Chichester Harbour... which ever it is it's not as good as it might be.. not aimed at people inland I suspect.

If you radio works on everything else don't waste money on a new one. There's probably nothing wrong with it

I had the same problem. Rectified by a new antenna and cable.

I suggest you have both the radio and antenna checked first before replacing the radio.

VicMallows is offline Registered User

I've never had any problem on any of Solent Coastguards frequencies, anywhere from Chichester to Poole. Does suggest your antenna is not functioning as well as it should.