Default Cruising Greece (Ionian and Aegean)

OK i am starting to research a trip to Greece this summer.

I am skippering a 25m motor yacht, my owner would like to go to the Ionian and Aegean via Corinth canal

Does anyone have any recommends, must see places, areas to avoid etc etc.

Leaving Spain beginning of June and expect to arrive mid June. Staying fo 3 weeks.

All info welcome

You are going to be very limited in the places you can visit - at least in the Ionian as there are virtually no marinas and most of the harbours are too small to berth something that size. You are OK in Corfu and Levkas - but not sure you will get down the Levkas canal depending on your draft. There are anchorages on many of the islands for lunch stops. Should be OK in Patras and you can transit the Corinth Canal. Better facilities around Athens, but marina space can be difficult.

Suggest you buy Rod Heikells Greek Waters Pilot. Sailing boat orientated as this is the choice of most cruising in the area, but it has enough information for you to identify the potential spots.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzer View Post
    l

Does anyone have any recommends, must see places, areas to avoid etc etc.
    That's what my web site is designed to do.

Yours is a big boat though, and my comments all assume <24m
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Mad Pad is offline Registered User

The Agean tends to get very windy in the summer.Being a motorboat you may be more comfortable staying out of there.
    You could do the Ionian then go north to Albania,Montenegro and Croatia.
    DYOR

Thanks Jimb. Will take a look

I am assuming lots of anchoring in bays keeping an eye on the weather. Especially he Meltimi.

Mad pad. Not my choice I'm afraid. If the boss wants to go I have to go!!! Of course I will dmor however there are experienced people here and tapping into that resource is all part of my research.

Might be well worth posting your request for information on the liveaboard forum, as there are a number of experienced liveaboards out in Greece with a wealth of knowledge.

IF you are also looking for pilot guides,I find sailingbooks.co.uk with their summaries of most what's available a good place to window shop. Their service is actually first-rate as well.
    www.sailingbooks.co.uk/trolleyed/27/48/index.htm