Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Downtide, downwind mooring, WNS?

F4/5 on the reciprocal of the prevailing, neighbouring fore'n'aft berths occupied, narrow channel, dinghy on bow mooring buoy, no pick-up on stern-line sinker.

WNS?
    (Judders excluded 'cos he's seen it done before ;-)
    "when the ship arrives in a wine country, there the master shall procure them wine to drink." Article XVII, Rules Of Oleron

Quote Originally Posted by mcframe View Post
    F4/5 on the reciprocal of the prevailing, neighbouring fore'n'aft berths occupied, narrow channel, dinghy on bow mooring buoy, no pick-up on stern-line sinker.

WNS?
    (Judders excluded 'cos he's seen it done before ;-)
    Does this make any sense to anybody?

- W

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    Does this make any sense to anybody?

- W
    Happy you said that, thought it was just me.......

He's got a fore and aft mooring in a channel too narrow to turn in. He's also got the wind up his chuff, and no way to pick up the stern mooring bouy as he goes past it. What Now Skipper? (I think that's what it means.......)

1. Drop a kedge over the stern as you get near the aft-most moored boat. Pay out the kedge warp slowly to control the boat as it slows to a stop. Then use engine and tiller to manouvre the bow to the forward mooring bouy/ dinghy painter. Make fast, then use the dinghy to tie up to the aft bouy and recover the kedge.

2. Raft up alongside the aft-most boat temporarily, then slowly pay out a stern line to control your boat as you manouvre it so you can pick up the bow mooring bouy.

3. Just come in and slam into reverse at the critical moment in the hope that the prop wash will both stop you dead and kick the stern into position. Then ring up your insurance company, and don't forget to write a little note to stick on the washboards of all the damaged boats.

Why wouldnt anyone simply use the engine to control a boat in a confined space? Is it broken?

Or go somewhere else?

Drop all sail. Run down past the mooring. Let go kedge anchor from bow, (sheering the boat so chain does not mark topsides). When the boat has turned to face the wind and tide, motor slowly ahead whilst recovering the anchor, when alongside the berth, ferry glide into position. Pick up the mooring from the bow.
    Last edited by parsifal; 15-04-12 at 17:11.
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'

Wansworth is offline Registered User

In another life I sailed my engine less boat into Finisterre harbour,seeing that the space was tight I stowed the main and ran in between the fishing boats on nearing the end of the harbour I LEPT to the mast downed the jib and let go the anchour.She rounded up a treat.I hauled the anchour in and drifted alongside.I had learn the trick whilsy in the MN turning small coasters in small harbours or rivers,quite a hectic time ....

sarabande is offline Registered User

one option might be to turn around well before the mooring area, and drift back under control with the engine in ahead to control the backwards drift.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Why wouldnt anyone simply use the engine to control a boat in a confined space? Is it broken?

Or go somewhere else?
    Not everyone has a boat that is controllable and predictable in reverse, and the channel is too narrow to turn in.