Thread: Prop damage

Default Prop damage

I am buying into a Bavaria 38 in Turkey. On the inspection visit I noted some (slight?) damage to the prop. See pic the damage is on the lower LH lobe.

Any prop experts out there who could venture an opinion on how this might affect performance?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd be more concerned about the missing keel or is just out of picture?
    Last edited by tom_sail; 15-04-12 at 22:46.

It's a Bavaria - I didn't think they had keels!

OK it has (see another pic)

T

sarabande is offline Registered User

worst case it may cause vibration, cavitation, and palpitations of the wallet.

Otherwise, it looks like a small ding that could wait for a bit, but I'd be tempted to try and smooth it out a bit.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

That has probably hit something. Worth taking the prop off and checking the bush in the hub for wear and corrosion. May indicate that the prop is nearing the end of its life. aluminium props like that are not easy to refurbish and are not hugely expensive to replace with new. The damage might cause some extra vibration, but probably not a loss of performance.

BTW it looks like the drive leg and prop have been antifouled with a copper based AF - not a good idea. You may find the prop is also corroded because of that. Best to clean all the mess off the drive and recoat with the correct AF - Trilux is the International type.
    Last edited by Tranona; 16-04-12 at 09:22.

Baggywrinkle is offline Registered User

Personally, I'd get rid of all the anti-fouling, clean it up properly and see exactly how much metal is missing. A new prop now will be cheaper long term than having to haul out and replace mid season (unless you have dive gear

Put on the correct primer (I used Blakes Paints Prop Primer) and then paint with antifoul (Blakes Paints Mille Drive Spray coat). I also removed the rubber gaitor and re-glued with Sikaflex 292i. This isn't a recommendation for any particular product, they were 50% off in the boat section of a DIY store - so I'll see how they do this season.

(I know I know ... she'll get the bottom soda blasted next winter. )

Before and After .....
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Ooo nice work - thanks everyone for the replies.