Default Lay flat pipe for mooring chain (Which one?)

Hi,

Seen people post about using lay flat pipe to cover mooring strop chains to reduce scratches etc...

Searched on ebay and I can only find blue and yellow hose (water delivery). Tool station seem to do them for allot less than flea bay merchants. On chap sells firehose by the pallet.

Do people fit these or the proper job fireman's hose that I assume is much more robust?

Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    Hi,

Seen people post about using lay flat pipe to cover mooring strop chains to reduce scratches etc...

Searched on ebay and I can only find blue and yellow hose (water delivery). Tool station seem to do them for allot less than flea bay merchants. On chap sells firehose by the pallet.

Do people fit these or the proper job fireman's hose that I assume is much more robust?

Ta.
    use a nylon rope riser & that will do the same job
    I may be wrong but not always

vyv_cox is offline Registered User

Mine came from a local fire station. Hose is turned around fairly frequently as it becomes damaged. The one I had was 3 inch, smaller and better than the bigger stuff they use for large fires.
    Answers to some technical queries at http://coxengineering.sharepoint.com

Was planning on that to create a shorter strip, with the original chain as backup.

Do i need to have an eye and shackle o. The nylon or can I just tie it?

Quote Originally Posted by vyv_cox View Post
    Mine came from a local fire station. Hose is turned around fairly frequently as it becomes damaged. The one I had was 3 inch, smaller and better than the bigger stuff they use for large fires.
    +1 Mine came in exchange for beer tokens

I have lots of the stuff, in various diameters and thickness, from a local Scrapstore. It's intended to be both sacrificial and protective of the mooring strops against chafe, and toerails similarly.

To secure in place, I punch a hole at each end and use a short length of cord to attach to the strop.

Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbilbo View Post
    Where are you?
    West Sussex (boat/home) / London (work)

You can always machine some from some old canvas. I'm not usre you even want it to be waterproof?

Re nylon strops, tying knots may be OK if the ends are seized, but I'm happier with spliced eyes, with a metal thimble where appropriate.
    Whatever you do, it wears, at a greater or lesser rate, it's a matter of slowing that down.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    You can always machine some from some old canvas. I'm not usre you even want it to be waterproof?

Re nylon strops, tying knots may be OK if the ends are seized, but I'm happier with spliced eyes, with a metal thimble where appropriate.
    Whatever you do, it wears, at a greater or lesser rate, it's a matter of slowing that down.
    I viewed the nylon as sacrificial, and hence replaceable. There will be the existing chain as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by gregcope View Post
    West Sussex (boat/home) / London (work)
    PM sent.