Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED strip light

saltylegs is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emandvee44 View Post
    I have just returned from Lidls where I found very nice looking LED strip lights, which would (I think) be ideal for over the galley area or in the heads. I have been looking for LED lights for this purpose for some time and these are the best I have seen.
    They come with a mains power adaptor, but the input is 12v DC (see photo)
    Could they be connected to a boat's 12v system (and more importantly would they work)?

Cheers,

Michael.
    I installed one in the galley last year, I ditched the charger and wired into the existing lights feed and all still works ok, no ill effects from the alternator or charger (so far)

emandvee44 is offline Registered User

Default LIDL LED Strip light

Brilliant - thanks for the latest responses - it is nice to know that some of you already have these lights , and that they work ok. It is the first time I have seen them, and as we are still in the process of LEDising the whole boat I am still looking for ideas!

Cheers,

Michael.

ps got the Binoculars and drill 90 deg. adaptor from LIDL today - they were on reduced price - 22€ for the bins. They are good although probably better for neighbour watching than for grneral yacht use.
    Bavaria 44
    Retro navigation - the way forward www.violetaimages.net

Ah, just seen the pics. I was thinking they were these..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-500CM-1...item5f7949033c

Probably same LEDīs though.

The strip is good though, some going under the chart table lid next.

sarabande is online now Registered User

LED strips and radio interference. Anyone have any direct experience please, and if so, how do you overcome it ?
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Lodesman77 is offline Registered User

7m installed so far (mostly white and some red) and no interference on VHF or FM/LW...

' The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted life span, his days spent sailing '

Quote Originally Posted by Lodesman77 View Post
    7m installed so far (mostly white and some red) and no interference on VHF or FM/LW...

the ones i've seen don't have active components - they're pretty agricultural using just resistors and leds. don't experience any interference from them. in contrast to the replacement bulbs with constant-current controllers which do kick out emi.

We just bought a couple of these to try out on the deck for the summer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLAR-POWE...item2eb73a6b1f

Just hope we get some sun..

William_H is offline Registered User

Default LED strips

As the LED strips can be divided into 3 LED sections clearly each 3 LEDs have a resistor for current limiting. That means no interference but does make it more susceptible to voltage variations. It does seem to me however that the LEDs can cope with the higher current of 15v on charge as they are pretty much under rated at 12v. Might be wrong of course. I have got one of these stuck to the cabin ceiling on the little boat and it lights up the cabin nicely. sticky back for attachment.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Li...r-p-25169.html
    good luck olewill

Quote Originally Posted by yesod View Post
    in contrast to the replacement bulbs with constant-current controllers which do kick out emi.
    Cheap ones , maybe. Good ones donīt.

I have put in three of the LED strips from LIDL.
    Simply cut the plug/transformer off and wire into the 12 volts, note that there is a +ve and a -ve and they wont work if the wrong way round, although it does not appear to do any harm either.
    They are excellent, I wish I had bought more, so if they are back on offer I will go and get some more
    Attached photo showing the one in my galley (top left of picture) that replaced a flourescent.
    The galley is still work in progress but nearly there
    Attached Images Attached Images