Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DaveS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Not sure I'd want a bell on a yacht - won't it ring as you go over waves?

Pete
    Indeed. See my previous post.

emandvee44 is offline Registered User

It is a MCA coding requirement for +12m, and I believe possibly for all categories here in Portugal.
    We have a F4 one, just received, very nice and we bought an excellent bell rope on eBay. Haven't a clue where we will fix it, as I don't think the interior of our boat is ' nautical ' enough, what with the pot plants, tablecloth, cushions - it would look out of place.
    I had thought of some kind of portable arrangement in the cockpit, perhaps on the radar mast. Back to the drawing board!

Cheers,

Michael.
    Bavaria 44
    Retro navigation - the way forward www.violetaimages.net

A ship's bell was used to mark the passage of time on board. One bell half an hour after the start of a watch, two bells after one hour and so on until eight bells marked the end of the watch. You and your crew will find this very useful, especially during night passages when you might otherwise need a light to see the time by your wristwatch.......

Woodlouse is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear View Post
    A ship's bell was used to mark the passage of time on board. One bell half an hour after the start of a watch, two bells after one hour and so on until eight bells marked the end of the watch. You and your crew will find this very useful, especially during night passages when you might otherwise need a light to see the time by your wristwatch.......
    You'd need a half hour glass as well though...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlouse View Post
    You'd need a half hour glass as well though...
    Especially if you like your eggs very hard boiled.

I have one as a door bell on the house. It's great to tell the kids to give it a good whack & watch their faces. Because it is right by the ringer's ear it actually hurts. You can hardly hear it in the house tho.

I must put a small sign on it to encourage visitors to ring it HARD, that should keep the JW's & Hawkers away. Friends & relatives only do it once.

If mounting it outside, I suspect the brass finish will suffer very quickly, will it be possible to mount it so it can be removed & stored below when not foggy? Mine is a cast iron one.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

I got given a bell for christmas one year. Took 2 years to actually put it on the boat. The clapper was removed exactly 15 mins after it was installed. A year later the boat was sold. I still have the bell........minus the clapper. Kids.......!!

Woodlouse is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    If mounting it outside, I suspect the brass finish will suffer very quickly, will it be possible to mount it so it can be removed & stored below when not foggy? Mine is a cast iron one.
    Tsk, you get your deckhand to polish it every morning before breakfast. He can do the winch tops whilst he's about it.

rotrax is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post

I'll be all right then-I've got a bronze one. It does have an iron clapper though. It must be at least 80 years old. It was over the shop door in at least three shops that I know of going back to 1929. I have wondered about taking it to the boat and fitting it somewhere handy. Think I'll make the clapper removable so it wont go off in a blow. I like it nice and quiet when I'm sleeping.

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    The bell should be mounted on the foredeck, and rung a number of times to indicate how many shackles of chain you have out while you're in the process of anchoring.

If you're a ship, anyway

Pete
    Agreed - as on peppa pigs grapndad's boat!