Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    On the one way system by the Traffic Lights...
    Posts
    11,813

    Default Ocean Village Development approved

    Thames MoBo? ADD YOUR VOICE - Support http://tmba.org.uk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boat (Southampton)
    Posts
    8,000

    Default

    Great news for the marina long term.. will be interested to learn how disruptive the building site is likely to be for the current berth holders during the building works though.. wasn't really expecting to be berthing the boat in the vicinity of a major development when taking up the berth this year, tranquility was the word that sprang to mind at the time.. hopefully the tender process will contractually build in terms and conditions to protect existing berth holder from noise polution and general disruption, including compensation should they fail to deliver against them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Serpentine
    Posts
    230

    Default

    I wondered why my quote for berthing there seemed rather low compared to the other marinas. Pleased I stayed where I was

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hamble
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    In the early 80's my dad took me to a display at the old ferry terminal with a model of how Ocean Village was going to look, bars, restaurants, shops and so on, they built it, it remained half empty, they knocked it down again, and here we are, doing it all again.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oGaryo View Post
    Great news for the marina long term.. will be interested to learn how disruptive the building site is likely to be for the current berth holders during the building works though.. wasn't really expecting to be berthing the boat in the vicinity of a major development when taking up the berth this year, tranquility was the word that sprang to mind at the time.. hopefully the tender process will contractually build in terms and conditions to protect existing berth holder from noise polution and general disruption, including compensation should they fail to deliver against them
    Has there ever been a stage where there's no construction around Ocean Village? It seems to me that it's a perpetual building site, and now will be for at least another 5 years or so.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    fareham hampshire
    Posts
    915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARA View Post
    I wondered why my quote for berthing there seemed rather low compared to the other marinas. Pleased I stayed where I was
    So back to being a dust bowl again

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    26,318

    Default

    Interesting that - according to the artist's impression - they're expecting people to sail into their berths. Must be the reason there are so few pontoons filling the space

    Pete

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oGaryo View Post
    Great news for the marina long term.. will be interested to learn how disruptive the building site is likely to be for the current berth holders during the building works though.. wasn't really expecting to be berthing the boat in the vicinity of a major development when taking up the berth this year, tranquility was the word that sprang to mind at the time.. hopefully the tender process will contractually build in terms and conditions to protect existing berth holder from noise polution and general disruption, including compensation should they fail to deliver against them
    Not a marina I visit very often, but surely you cant have been there two minutes without noticing construction imminent,part complete,finished (delete as appropriate!)
    Fortunately with MDL freedom berthing you can re-book across southampton water to Hthe if you want tranquility !!
    Hopefully the plumes of dust will be blowing eastwards.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Im biased as I really like Ocean Village.

    The hotel has been given the green light on the past too. I really hope this time that it gets off the ground.

    The final phase of the old wilson Bowden development has finally got some backing from someone with deep pockets.

    As a marina it's in a good position being 40 mins drive from M25/M3 junction or 1h10 on the train from central London. No locks and no long haul out to clear water.

    It will be make or break time

    The shower block, MDL office and possibly waterside properties may well move to the new hotel block. This coul open up a good position for a chandlery or watersports shop to serve OV and town quay??

    Last time there was building work I think MDL may have given free wash downs on boats that were in an dust affected area, just ask the marina manager once work starts.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boat (Southampton)
    Posts
    8,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    Not a marina I visit very often, but surely you cant have been there two minutes without noticing construction imminent,part complete,finished (delete as appropriate!)
    Fortunately with MDL freedom berthing you can re-book across southampton water to Hthe if you want tranquility !!
    Hopefully the plumes of dust will be blowing eastwards.
    There is building works already but doesn't appear to be an issue at present.. I've no intention of moving, liked the place before moving and like it more now.. it's a greta mix of tranquility when you want it and some life when you want to let your hair down (for those that still have some). What I didn't factor in was a large hotel complete being built on the water's edge, literally.

    to be clear, I'm not saying it's an issue, I'm juts interested what'll go in to the tender process to ensure it remains a none issue for berth holders

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •