Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eber amps

pagoda is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Durcott View Post
    It might be worth mentioning the classic Eber gotcha...

It might still run while the battery is getting discharged, but unless the battery is fresh, it most likely won't restart.

The control box measures the voltage while the glowplug is on, and if it drops, it cuts off the startup cycle. I suspect this is to ensure that you can still start the vehicle engine - it doesn't understand about 'house' batteries.

I happen to have a code reader for the Ebers, and by far the most common 'fault' code I got was, battery volts too low' even on a 'good' battery.

Jeff
    In boats - I think many problems are caused by optimistically light wiring, slightly corroded connectors and of course tired or not fully charged batteries.
    If you can find the connectors - back to the battery, try cleaning them up.
    Where your battery is honestly beyond it's sell by date .. replace.
    If neither of these solve you problem, then run a brand new 6mm2 cable (fused) from the battery to a heavy duty (40A) car relay, just by the glow plug. Use the glow plug wire to operate the relay ONLY. Take the switched 12V from the relay to the glow plug. You should find the performance of the Eber is transformed. Hopefully.
    It sorted my heater out anyway

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    In boats - I think many problems are caused by optimistically light wiring, slightly corroded connectors and of course tired or not fully charged batteries.
    If you can find the connectors - back to the battery, try cleaning them up.
    Where your battery is honestly beyond it's sell by date .. replace.
    If neither of these solve you problem, then run a brand new 6mm2 cable (fused) from the battery to a heavy duty (40A) car relay, just by the glow plug. Use the glow plug wire to operate the relay ONLY. Take the switched 12V from the relay to the glow plug. You should find the performance of the Eber is transformed. Hopefully.
    It sorted my heater out anyway

Graeme
    I use 10mm sq cable for eberspacher wiring, can't be too thick.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Don't forget the return cable.

neale is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by pagoda View Post
    +1