Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can't help you there I'm afraid, but I can now tell you that adding the salt increases the ionic strength of the vinegar, apparently and according to Google, so with all usual caveats.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Simondjuk View Post
    Can't help you there I'm afraid, but I can now tell you that adding the salt increases the ionic strength of the vinegar, apparently and according to Google, so with all usual caveats.
    With salt and vinegar you would effectively have hydrochloric acid but I dont think the dissociation of the acetic acid in the vinegar would be affected so it would like very very dilute hydrochloric acid.
    Perhaps I ought to go read what Google finds on the subject.

I found two results on the first page of my search mentioning increases in the ionic strength and decided that was as much as I'd ever need to know about the subject.

I can testify that it's a good method for cleaning up a wire in a pinch, and that's good enough for me.

I didn't do a salt and vinegar versus vinegar only comparison as I only had one wire to clean, but will try vinegar alone out of curiosity the next time I need to clean and solder something that's not really worth cleaning and soldering. If it's less effective than the salt/vinegar mix, I shall be able to say, 'We'll add salt! It will increase the ionic strength of the vinegar, don'tcha know.', even if that is actually utter tosh.