Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poole harbour mooring sites

Hi guys,

Before i sold my last boat i stayed at Davis's boatyard in Cobbs Quay,Poole.

Problem i now have is that i sold my 4x4 and i'm left with my 2.8ltr Iveco rearwheel drive van. Davis's slipway is a little steep i reckon, so looking to leave her elsewhere,tho i'm not ruling Davis's out just yet.

I fancy a swing mooring. Any recommendations on where in the harbour?

Another place next to the chain ferry is Shellbay marine?. Shallow looking slip for van to store and launch or leave on a swing.
    Anyone ever been here? know of them?. Cost for me is a big concern and so looking for summer storage only.

Any thoughts as usual, really appreciated.

Simon

Shell Bay is very shallow, but does have the advantage of being close to the Haven. Howewver, road access can be a nightmare with either the ferry to contend with or the long drive round through Wareham.

Other alternatives are Parkstone Bay and Sandbanks Yacht Company.

Thanks Tranona

Beauty of shellbay is that its not a half hour sale to get to Cobbs,so more fuel to play with

I will look into the alternatives you mention,thankyou. Like i said,its all about who's the cheapest at the end of the day

Simon

Hasn't Davis got a winch on the slip?
    Alternatively, store at Davis and launch at Cobbs Quay.
    Swinging Moorings http://www.poolemoorings.co.uk/

Lake Yard, swinging moorings with bar/restaurant and water taxi http://www.lakeyard.com/

Do you want somewhere to store the van and boat?

i used to keep my shetland 536 at mitchells which i think is now called parkstone bay. i had a swinging mooring straight out from the dinghy racks, about a 300ft row. nice place but my fees shot up while i was there to £750 for the season, im going back about 5yrs now so god knows how much it is now.
    my brother has his there now kept in the racks..about £3000!!!

too steep for me..

Colhel, appreciate what your saying there. Yes Davis's do have a winch but only up to 750kg
    Now some people have said park in Davis's and launch in Cobbs, but Cobbs want £35 to launch !!!!!! and i'd have to drive out of the complex,turn around then drive back in, but fully appreciate what your trying to say

I'll take a look at the websites, thanks very much!! How do you mean by storage Colhel?

Shetland,

Think were on the same wave length when it comes to cost. We're not all wealthy :-)
    £750 would be the limit for me and Davis's would be less than that for the summer season, but as much as i'd like to dry stack, £3000 is just ridiculous isn't it !

Thanks for advise guys. Going to have a busy night looking at websites

Simon

If you launch regularly Cobbs do an annual pass at about £500 also through the summer you may be able to store the boat there.

I believe Parkstone bay will not let you use their slip, stack and store is horrendously expensive but I can't comment on their moorings. One benefit of a mooring at Parkstone Bay is they have a water taxi during season so no need for a dingy. Sandbanks yacht have moorings but no usable slip. Shell Bay access by vehicle is as said awkward but it may work for you personally not for me. Rockley Park is another candidate they have stack and store a usable slip and swinging moorings however it is the wrong end of the harbour but it costs less than most

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly1 View Post
    Shallow looking slip for van to store and launch or leave on a swing.
    Anyone ever been here? know of them?. Cost for me is a big concern and so looking for summer storage only.

Any thoughts as usual, really appreciated.

Simon

This is what I mean storage Simon . Did you want to store the van and boat?

Another option is Ridge Wharf on the River Frome. This will be probably work out cheapest for dry storage, but it's quite a long way up the channel. The slipway looks steep too, though I have seen some fairly bigguns launch there.

Colhel,

Haha, i read your point. Yes, could have worded that a little better. What i meant to say was to store and launch the boat, using my van which i'll be driving to and from the place. Just boat storage.

Thankyou for your suggestion!!!!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    This is what I mean storage Simon . Did you want to store the van and boat?

Another option is Ridge Wharf on the River Frome. This will be probably work out cheapest for dry storage, but it's quite a long way up the channel. The slipway looks steep too, though I have seen some fairly bigguns launch there.
    Ridge have a limit on the size of boat that can be slipped, around 18 ft IIRC. Even cheaper and just up the river a tad is Redcliffe Farm. Boat storage and slipway included is about 400 quid. Down side is it a bit of a trudge down to and across the harbour. Pleasant trip though and you'll be flushing the engine in fresh as you return. Has showers and bogs on the campsite. Slip is useable all states except low water springs, even then I could get my old Tremlett out with a 4x4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast