Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Brambles again

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Chrusty 1,

nice try but I've seen the Bristol Channel, and sailed a dinghy from Burnham - once - with the mud content of that fast flowing soup, I guess wheels are more useful than twin keels ?!

The Solent is great, I don't know anywhere else with such a choice of places to go; I hardly ever have a destination in mind at departure, just see how it goes once out there.
    So you have an aversion to a bit of brown water? it's not all like that by a long chalk, the lower end is very much nicer, and the water is a different colour, and as for places to go, we are spoilt for choice, and when we get there we can actually find a berth, without all that silly rafting up nonsense.

Furthermore, it is never crowded.

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    A tempting offer but the Solent's main attraction for me is that it's not far to France!
    France!!! Bleeeeeaaaaaa-YUK! Why on earth would you want to go there? It's full of the ancient enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusty 1 View Post
    France!!! Why on earth would you want to go there?
    Because I rarely feel ripped off by their mooring charges. And they don't charge 3 for half a bucket of electricity!

France!!! Bleeeeeaaaaaa-YUK! Why on earth would you want to go there? It's full of the ancient enemy.
    Well considering most of Dorset is out of bounds to small boats this summer, France looks like a great option. Especially if the French decide to sail north on mass

Pete
    Moody 31

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bav34 View Post
    Because I rarely feel ripped off by their mooring charges. And they don't charge 3 for half a bucket of electricity!
    Well I think that mooring / berthing charges on the south coast are indeed a ripoff, south Devon and Cornwall too, but seeing as how marinas are few and far between on the north coasts of Devon and Cornwall, Somerset too for that matter, it aint an issue for me. Even Welsh marina charges seem mostly reasonable, but then I only have a wee boat.

Anybody with a 30+ footer is not sailing a boat, they are sailing a cash cow, specially designed to keep the owners of marinas in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

Chrusty 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
    Well considering most of Dorset is out of bounds to small boats this summer, France looks like a great option. Especially if the French decide to sail north on mass

Pete
    "Most of Dorset"??? Please explain?

Anybody with a 30+ footer is not sailing a boat, they are sailing a cash cow, specially designed to keep the owners of marinas in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
    Trouble is its not just marinas. I like many others have been mugged in Salcombe and Dartmouth and just refuse to return.

Seajet is offline Registered User

"Most of Dorset"??? Please explain?
    Pete 7

is quite correct, Weymouth is basically out of bounds due to people sailing around in circles for some sort of games thing, berths either unavailable or humungous jacked up prices; I try not to go there anyway due to Portland Race, but it would be nice to have that deep water port available as Plan B.

As for the Bristol Channel not being crowded, a quoe from the film 'battle of Britain', when the squadron is dispersed to a grotty flying club after being bombed out;

" Well at least you won't have the Germans visiting you "

" I don't blame 'em ! "

Chrusty 1 Guest

Pete 7

is quite correct, Weymouth is basically out of bounds due to people sailing around in circles for some sort of games thing, berths either unavailable or humungous jacked up prices; I try not to go there anyway due to Portland Race, but it would be nice to have that deep water port available as Plan B.

As for the Bristol Channel not being crowded, a quoe from the film 'battle of Britain', when the squadron is dispersed to a grotty flying club after being bombed out;

" I don't blame 'em ! "
    Gerron wiv yer, you is just feeling wobbly at the thought of the second highest tidal range in the world. The Brizzle Channel has beautiful scenery both sides of it, ditto the North Devon and Cornwall coasts.

Pete 7

" I don't blame 'em ! "
    Well, a part of Weymouth Bay has some restrictions. As far as I can remember though, there is quite a lot of Dorset left to explore...

Or you could come and sail somewhere really nice, like the Fal...