gravygraham is offline Registered User

Default MMSI number question.

Can anyone remind me how this system works? I had an MMSI number for our old boat/VHF, and we're about to fit a new VHF in our new mobo. Should I apply for a new number or should I use my old number (and tell the relevant authorities it's for a new boat)? Thanks for any replies.
    Lady Lou
    Our Jeanneau Prestige 36

Quote Originally Posted by gravygraham View Post
    Can anyone remind me how this system works? I had an MMSI number for our old boat/VHF, and we're about to fit a new VHF in our new mobo. Should I apply for a new number or should I use my old number (and tell the relevant authorities it's for a new boat)? Thanks for any replies.
    The call sign and MMSI number stays with the boat. If you new boat has not been licenced then you need to apply to Ofcom for a new one. If your boat is new to you, but not new then you simply transfer your details to the existing licence. Again via Ofcom. http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radioc...s/ships-radio/

If you don't know if your boat has every been licensed, then you can check via the http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/ship_search.sh

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

You cannot transfer a ship radio license, neither can you transfer the call sign or MMSI number to a new boat. When you sell a boat you cancel the ship radio license and give your name and address, the MMSI and call sign to the new owner. He then registers for a new license, entering the old MMSI etc.

When you buy a new boat, you obviously apply for a new license using the old MMSI etc. If the new boat doesn't come with a VHF, there's no real reason not to just apply for a new license and new MMSI. I'd suggest that might be a good idea when buying a used boat with no VHF, in case the previous owner has kept the VHF with the old MMSI programmed into it.
    Jeanneau Merry Fisher 805 For Sale. www.gooch.co.uk

gravygraham is offline Registered User

Thanks guys.
    Lady Lou
    Our Jeanneau Prestige 36