Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    boatone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    C,mon which would you rather have..... a timeless classic ...or the result of a bad one night stand involving a glass house and a house brick ?
    And this from the man that describes my boat as "cute" and "small but perfectly formed"

Guess I should be grateful for small mercies
    Thames MotorBoater? Care about the river? Join the www.tmba.org.uk/about-tmba

Thank you all. Interesting responses but not surprising and much as I thought.
    Could go for a Broom 10/70 at same price. Decisions, decisions... Love the style of the Turbo and feels younger. Perfect space inside but no rear canopy is a minus in the rain and wind for helming and sitting out. And the rain will pour straight into that sloping cabin door. Engine access worrying for future bills

Would suggest that a Turbo with small engines will consume much the same at sea as the 306. At river speeds you won't notice much difference.
    I once knew a chap with a new 36 A/C and Volvo 200hp, on a cruise in company to the Channel Isles, the 200hp used more fuel than either 255 or 306hp.
    Go for the bigger motors you will save in the long run.

At 10-12kts you're going to be pushing a mountain of water with that hull, and using fuel accordingly. I agree that (certainly in my case..) I very, very rarely bash along at 25kts these days - I usually sit at 15 - 18kts where I'm comfortably planing but not devouring the world's supply of diesel every hour.

Having the bigger engines, they can do this without breaking sweat with a fistful of oomph left if the need arises. They are not using any more fuel to do this than a smaller engine (relatively small weight difference aside..) but they're less stressed with power in reserve.

And I can sell my boat when I want to. Cos I've got the biggest engine option.

" And I can sell my boat when I want to. Cos I've got the biggest engine option."

H,mm you may have a bit of competition, 13 unsold T36 on Boatmatch at the moment,all of them with the "desirable" bigger engine options, one unsold sporting titchy engines.

Ramage is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    " And I can sell my boat when I want to. Cos I've got the biggest engine option."

H,mm you may have a bit of competition, 13 unsold T36 on Boatmatch at the moment,all of them with the "desirable" bigger engine options, one unsold sporting titchy engines.
    Ross has a Princess........

Oldgit, you're being a bit biased in your pricings, assuming I'm comparing the T36 with an older Broom!!
    Fifty Shades of Bray: Don't laugh, your Wife is probably on board...

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Oldgit, you're being a bit biased in your pricings, assuming I'm comparing the T36 with an older Broom!!
    Alls fair in love and war and .......forum arguments...

I shall post the images of you with that Donkey then
    Fifty Shades of Bray: Don't laugh, your Wife is probably on board...

Default Turbo 36

My Turbo 36 has the 255's and whereas She won't do 27 knots, She will sit all day at 16 - 18 knots, tops out at 23 knots and planes from just above 12.

Bulld like the proverbial brick outhouse, parking without a thruster is interesting, especially as the fly helm is in the middle of the boat, and I keep forgetting to look behind me, but my tender rib provides a good rear mounted sky fender !

My second power boat after numerous yachts. In no rush to move on. Yes the smaller engines will be underpowered, but if you are mostly doing river work they will run better, and use less fuel light loaded, and will still give you a gentle plane for a trip over to Calais, and that's at least three timnes the speed of one of those saily things !

If you get one I've got loads of info including the original owners manual, wiring diagrams etc, plus cross over references for filters etc.

Best of luck !