Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mariah boats

So... still looking at this Mariah.

1997 boat - it's not the 218SC (That has a bigger cuddy) but it's a 21.5 foot boat called a Talari

7.4 CARB engine and single prop not duoprop.

Tonneau and Bimini - not a full canopy.

American trailer - brakes u/s but otherwise fine.

Owner wants 10k

Given there are not many / any about to compare to - (does this mean they are no good or that owners keep them?) does the panel think this is too much, about right or what?

Obviously I am going to try and get the price down - but if people think this price is not too bad then I will go into negotiations feeling I can do a deal - but if people think it's more like 8k's worth then I will have to work hard!
    Why can't we work 2 days a week and boat the other 5????

I don't have the brochures any more, but I seem to remember that "Talari" wasn't any particular boat, but instead, a trim level that could be had on several boats.

"Talari" being the base variant , "Shabah" some more bits, "Z", more bits again. But, all v.similar, just a way of packaging accessories.

Still sounds like 8k, though (assuming everything is in great condition, and has been well looked after)
    Last edited by FlowerPower; 27-04-12 at 09:03.

No one has mentioned if the outdrive needs servicing or the manifolds need replacing. On a boat of that age, if they haven't been done recently you need to budget for that as well and you are looking at around 1000 in parts costs alone....

Not being the duoprop is possibly a bonus as less to go wrong and you can always put a hi-five prop on if the standard prop is lacking.
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

Not sure we know the manifolds & risers have been replaced - so we'll have to assume not I think....

Good points all - thank you - keep the advice coming

BTW when I said service the outdrive I meant including changing the bellows if they haven't been done within a few years.
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Went to look today - No CE certification - so I walked - good decision?????

Here's the boat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mariah-pow...#ht_500wt_1379

Wanted 8500 which I thought was too much even if it had CE - without it seems way too high.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheplane View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Went to look today - No CE certification - so I walked - good decision?????

Here's the boat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mariah-pow...#ht_500wt_1379

Wanted 8500 which I thought was too much even if it had CE - without it seems way too high.

CE Certification wasnt made compulsory till '98, only very few boats had it Pre '98. If the trailer is UK legal then its OK, but not great price. Boat looks nice, but if it didnt 'grab you' you made the right decision to walk away.
    Mark

Road Trailer was about as ILLEGAL as it gets....

Too wide

American Hitch

No brakes of any description.....

As you say, no bargain.

Anthony is offline Registered User

I sold my (genuine UK origin) Mariah 218Z with new full camping cover and UK legal trailer for 6.5k a year or two ago. I prob let it go a bit cheap, it only had 220 hours on it, but there are bargains out there such as mine.

The pre 2006 Mariahs were very solid boats, they went bankrupt and another company purchased their name and sold cheaper boats based on their previous reputation.

However they were not perfect, the hulls were very solid but they claimed that the fittings were mainly bolted in, we found they were typically screwed into the GRP same as any other. Generally ok but a few pulled out over time, so yes solid boat but look at them like any other for faults.

It also sucked quite a bit of fuel when skiing etc with the 5.7LX. Great cuddy boat but I have since concluded that because of its size it was expensive to run than a typical sports type day boat, but without any proper head facilities it wasnt really an overnighter / weekender either. I wouldn't go for that size again, get one or the other unless the cuddy without a head is something you still want after considering this point.

Ants
    'There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats'

I probably would have bought that at that kind of money if you had it now!

Our hunt continues however.