Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mariah boats

I think your been a bit hard on yourself to find the perfect boat, my experience of buying and selling are exactly what you have experienced.

I'm afraid to say you will not find a perfect boat with everything you want for the money you have, i recently tried to sell our precious wellcrafty for 9500 quid(sorry pound sign not working on k/b) and we had no takers only people who wanted to give 5000 grand, No way would i sell it for that, the snipe trailer along cost me 2500. the original trailer was an American eagle trailer and yes illegal over here

While selling wellcrafty we looked at spending 15000 on a bigger sports cruiser 24/25 ft max, everything we looked below this figure was either a dog or not looked after, stuff missing nothing was perfect, so we looked at other boats around 18-19000 quid and there were beauties everywhere, but just out of our cost and none had trailers which added another 3-4000 quid on top, so we settled back with our original boat wellcrafty and that was the best move i made currently. and we are slowly adding extras to it now to make it more our boaty thing.

The honest part im trying to say is many boat owners love there boats i brought mine in a really naf not running condition for 3575 quid inc eagle trailer, what i have done in time and money its worth so much more to me and i will neve rlet it sell for the going rate of this boat, this is what you are finding from owners that are selling ther boats are worth so much more to them, as your boat will be when you buy one and get it to how you like it

The comments you have had about getting a boat with this replaced and this serviced is in my opinion silly, do you buy a second hand car and ask the seller has the radiator-clutch-brakes-fuel pump have been replaced has it had every single service from it start of life at the dealer, unless its from a dealer or very over priced then i would assume the answer would be no.

The Mariah sound a good starter boat and don't let it slip away because of a trailer issue, i could of done this and i would not have the boat i love now, a quick search online for second hand trailers will show there are lots of them, also look at ex-demo witch is what our snipe twin axle was.

Kids.
    Well my kids now 4 and 5 have loved every trip out, but now no way every possible pending trip we have had recently they don't want to go, i agree trying to get you kids into it but things will change and they may hate it later.

There are some very lovely honest lads and lasses in here that are lucky to own a lush floating cruiser, to them spending extra to get what you want is the best thing, but to us trailer boater who do everything on a shoe string adding extra is not possible, if it was me i would get the mariah get it home or boat yard while saving and looking for a trailer work on the boat and engine for this year get every done and ready for next familiarize you self with the engine, do the servicing your self inc the leg service , you could then look back and have a cracking nice boat and trailer to fit your every need and you are armed with the knowledge if anything goes wrong you know what to do.

This is only my opinion and not to offend the usurers of this forum

mark
    Last edited by markcw; 01-07-12 at 18:31.

All good advice - and I will take much of it - but not on that particular Mariah - there will be other (better) starting points.

There were just too many things wrong with it - had the owner been willing to sell it cheap that's one thing - but he wanted top money for a poor quality boat with too many things wrong.

There is no shortage of boats out there, and I have time.... So I do agree with what you say - but I'll do it on a different boat.
    Why can't we work 2 days a week and boat the other 5????

epervier is offline Registered User

Just a quick look on boat 24 and across the bridge from you is a fletcher under budget and ready to get you Ontheplane get yer wallet out and get boating.

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MTkxOTY0...owbolt_21.html
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"

rbcoomer is online now Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by epervier View Post
    Just a quick look on boat 24 and across the bridge from you is a fletcher under budget and ready to get you Ontheplane get yer wallet out and get boating.

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/MTkxOTY0...owbolt_21.html
    Funny that, I was looking at that same page yesterday! Identical design to my current project and if in good condition, a really nice boat. The cuddy might be a bit limiting - I can't sit up in mine even now the floor's out! It's very 'cosy' to say the least and great for kids however. Very good hulls I'm repeatedly told - and far better suited to coastal stuff than the American imports. Given the age I think they're perhaps optimistic on price, but a lot of fun for the money if all is in good order...
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk
    Facebook: /rbcoomer

GrahamHR is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rbcoomer View Post
    Very good hulls I'm repeatedly told - and far better suited to coastal stuff than the American imports.
    Hmmm; my boat is American, it seems to handle the coastal conditions around West Anglesey pretty well, it's not exactly lake like there ! ( I must admit it doesn't handle it quite as well as Storming Normans Baja 275 , but that's also American). We've always got back to the marina, even when the wind turned into a F7 with consequential sea conditions.

epervier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rbcoomer View Post
    Funny that, I was looking at that same page yesterday! Identical design to my current project and if in good condition, a really nice boat. The cuddy might be a bit limiting - I can't sit up in mine even now the floor's out! It's very 'cosy' to say the least and great for kids however. Very good hulls I'm repeatedly told - and far better suited to coastal stuff than the American imports. Given the age I think they're perhaps optimistic on price, but a lot of fun for the money if all is in good order...
    I used to own one back in 86 and it was a cracking bit of kit, although mine was merc powered not volvo.
    "It's Better to Have Memories Than Dreams"
    "blow Q, cycle main vents"