Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 123
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Your first statement is, I think incorrect. It is not part of the British Marine Federation, although it may well be a member, as are literally hundreds of others in the marine business.

    They are very clear about their requirements for membership, which require much more than is legally necessary to operate - which is just about zero. Anybody can set up as a broker, it is not a "reserved" occupation. So like many other similar occupations any representative or accrediting body has to be voluntary and self governing.

    This is not to excuse either bad performance of the broker, nor the response from the organisation as we don't know the whole story, only your side, but it helps at least to start with correct facts when commenting.
    Thank you for your comments.

    Please look at this link which points out the relationship between the BMF and the Boat Retailers and Brokers Association. http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/what_...ociations.aspx

    As you will notice from reading this link, they are not just a member, they are an affiliated association. I have spoken with the BMF in great detail prior to being told to email the BRBA.
    If you think I am still in the wrong with this statement, I can only apologise however, I do think that your input is valuable and will help others who are genuinely looking for their next boat through a broker.

    Again, let Buyer Beware.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,964

    Default

    My apologies - jumping to conclusions. I assumed you were talking about the ABYA which is part of the YBDSA. www.ybdsa.co.uk

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    My apologies - jumping to conclusions. I assumed you were talking about the ABYA which is part of the YBDSA. www.ybdsa.co.uk
    No, Sorry, my apologies - I should have been more specific in the original text.

    Thank you

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,603

    Default

    Sorry me too. I am a member of http://abya.co.uk which is part of the YBDSA and has been in existence for 100 years.

    I strive very hard to maintain high standards of integrity, because my reputation is the thing that brings the next client. So I guard it jealously and have fired clients in the past, and no doubt probably will do again.

    I got this testimonial this morning...... and I didn't even sell him a boat!

    "Hi John,

    Just a quick note to say that at long last and after some frankly frustrating wasted journeys looking at xxxxxx with xxxxxxxxxx yachts (They could learn much from you) we have found our next yacht.

    It's older than we would have liked 1992 but is in very good order with new engine, teak decks,standing, rigging,sails,etc and has the island berth in the main cabin.


    We are most grateful to you for your kind help and friendship in our very pleasant dealings with you and wish you and you family continued good health and success.

    Please contact us John if you are ever down this way as we would love to see you and your family any time.

    Kindest of regards.

    xxx & xxxxx"



    Now it's not always like that and I'm sure there are some who get fed up with me, but I do try very hard to limit that number.
    Last edited by jonic; 24-04-12 at 14:48.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonic View Post
    Sorry me too. I am a member of http://abya.co.uk which is part of the YBDSA and has been in existence for 100 years.

    I strive very hard to maintain high standards of integrity, because my reputation is the thing that brings the next client. So I guard it jealously and have fired clients in the past, and no doubt probably will do again.

    I got this testimonial this morning...... and I didn't even sell him a boat!

    "Hi John,

    Just a quick note to say that at long last and after some frankly frustrating wasted journeys looking at xxxxxx with xxxxxxxxxx yachts (They could learn much from you) we have found our next yacht.

    It's older than we would have liked 1992 but is in very good order with new engine, teak decks,standing, rigging,sails,etc and has the island berth in the main cabin.


    We are most grateful to you for your kind help and friendship in our very pleasant dealings with you and wish you and you family continued good health and success.

    Please contact us John if you are ever down this way as we would love to see you and your family any time.

    Kindest of regards.

    xxx & xxxxx"



    Now it's not always like that and I'm sure there are some who get fed up with me, but I do try very hard to limit that number.
    Hi John

    Thank you for this update - this must be very satisfying to receive communication such as this.

    On the other hand, would you and your business be in favour of being overseen by a totally independent service which would serve to reduce the number of "cowboy operators" here in the UK?

    Yes, it would also be nice to be able to reduce the high number of time-wasting viewers who are "just out for a day trip".
    I, like you, believe in being as honest as possible coupled with being pro-active and, treat the client as KING. I bend over backwards to accommodate the needs of a potential customer. I am realistic with descriptions and have been known to buy the client a pint or two in the past.

    Finally, we all make mistakes (we are human for goodness sakes) and I am the first person to admit fault and offer apologies. There is nothing wrong with this.
    The guys at B*@tshed did nothing but avoid any communication when I picked up on their mistake. All it would have taken was a small gesture to say Sorry.
    I tried several times to phone and email this guy to no avail. Eventually, I had to use the complaints procedure at their head office. They offered a mediation service between them and us. Again, nothing came of this, just frustration in not being able to get this guy to admit he had made mistakes and wasted so much of our time.
    Yes, we have moved on and have vowed not to use this particular broker again.

    Keep up the good work - you are obviously doing something right, John.

    Cheers

  6. #26
    Twister_Ken's Avatar
    Twister_Ken is online now Registered User
    Location : 'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    25,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glynny View Post
    Hi John

    On the other hand, would you and your business be in favour of being overseen by a totally independent service which would serve to reduce the number of "cowboy operators" here in the UK?
    Given that there appears to be no effective policing of standards in areas like care homes, social service departments, hospitals, police forces, etc, how would you propose regulating effectively in such a tin-shack operation as yacht broking?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    3,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glynny View Post
    Hi John

    Thank you for this update - this must be very satisfying to receive communication such as this.

    On the other hand, would you and your business be in favour of being overseen by a totally independent service which would serve to reduce the number of "cowboy operators" here in the UK?
    Absolutely, I already subscribe and pay to one voluntarily
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Given that there appears to be no effective policing of standards in areas like care homes, social service departments, hospitals, police forces, etc, how would you propose regulating effectively in such a tin-shack operation as yacht broking?
    Exactly. It is naive to think that any government sponsored "independent" body - even with the theoretical teeth would be effective. (And you haven't mentioned builders, plumbers, estate agents, or dare I say it even solicitors where there is varying oversight but still bad'uns sneak through)

    Usually when these threads get well and truly going you tend to get more satisfied (in general) folks than dissenters - but of course satisfied people rarely make an issue. That tends to give over emphasis to the people who have received a bad experience.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    397

    Red face

    I once made an inquiry to a broker about a Sigma 362 he had on his books. He told me it had just benefited for a refit, when I asked him what was involved in the refit, he answered "The engine's just been service, the topsides have been polished and it's been anti fouled"!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Why does anyone use brokers ? It's so easy and cheap to put one's own ad on the internet.

    Having said that, I have had two happy boat sales, the first through a broker who was excellent (got my ad to appear as first hit on google when boat make entered !)

    paul

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •