srah1953 is offline Registered User

Default Col Regs and Towing Vessel Lights

I'm in the process of re-learning the Col Regs and I'm curious if anyone can clarify the correct lights for the following-
    The Regs state that a towing vessel, in place of the normal lights for a power driven vessel, shall have two masthead lights in a vertical line (3 if tow >200m). It says further down in Rule 24(d) that a tug shall “also comply with Rule 23(a)(ii)”. This is the Rule that requires a power-driven vessel >50m to have “a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one”. However, there is no forward light when a vessel is towing, so where should this “>50m” light be placed in relation to the towing lights,ie, in front, behind or anywhere?
    I am just curious.
    Thanks

nigel1 is offline Registered User

Go towards the last few pages of the colregs, Annex 1, Para (e) will explain it.
    Basically the towing mast lights can either be on the foremast or the aft mast.
    One of the two or three lights to be in the same position as the "normal" mast head light.
    If the towing mast lights are carried on the aft mast, the lower of the lights to be at least 4.5m above the forward mast head light.

I'm currently towing a large lump through the Great Belt, we have the 3 towing mast lights on the aft mast. The secondary tug with us, has there towing mast lights on the foremast

VicS is offline Registered User

What he says ^^^
    Last edited by VicS; 23-04-12 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
    Go towards the last few pages of the colregs, Annex 1, Para (e) will explain it.
    Basically the towing mast lights can either be on the foremast or the aft mast.
    One of the two or three lights to be in the same position as the "normal" mast head light.
    If the towing mast lights are carried on the aft mast, the lower of the lights to be at least 4.5m above the forward mast head light.

I'm currently towing a large lump through the Great Belt, we have the 3 towing mast lights on the aft mast. The secondary tug with us, has there towing mast lights on the foremast
    Excellent. Thank you. I hadn't really paid too much attention to the Appendices, which was remiss of me. Every time I read the Regs, I always think that they are beautifully drafted in that an awful lot is covered in a relatively short text.
    Having said that, subpara (e) is strangely drafted in that it says “one of the two or three masthead lights prescribed ..” “One of ..” suggests that that they don't all have to be on the same vertical plane whereas Reg 24 is very specific about the two or three lights, as the case may be, being in a vertical line.
    But going back to my original question, it still seems to me that Annex (e) is silent as to the positioning of the third, or fourth in the case of a tow >200m, masthead light for a towing vessel greater than 50m.
    But I'm obviously missing something .....
    Neither you nor the secondary tug have the over 50m light but I presume you are suggesting that if you were over 50m you would carry that light on the foremast because your towing lights are on the aft mast while the secondary tug with you if it were over 50m would have the over 50m light on its aft mast because its towing lights are on the foremast?
    Kind regards in any event

nigel1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by srah1953 View Post
    Neither you nor the secondary tug have the over 50m light but I presume you are suggesting that if you were over 50m you would carry that light on the foremast because your towing lights are on the aft mast while the secondary tug with you if it were over 50m would have the over 50m light on its aft mast because its towing lights are on the foremast?
    Kind regards in any event

Both tugs are 74m in length, we have a forward mast head light exhibited. The other tug has mast light exhibited on her aft mast, at a minimum vertical separation of 4.5 meters above the uppermost of her 3 mast lights on the foremast

Quote Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
    Both tugs are 74m in length, we have a forward mast head light exhibited. The other tug has mast light exhibited on her aft mast, at a minimum vertical separation of 4.5 meters above the uppermost of her 3 mast lights on the foremast
    Thank you again

For your amusement, then there are the Spanish colregs. The tow line was two miles according to the radar. The tug had an all round white, the barge had no lights. Fortunately it was passing parallel to us abot two miles away. We were suprised because it was in the Med.

Even worse are the Venuzuelan Col Regs. The small fishing boats off Margarita island have all round red, white, green, yellow, blue or anything they fancy such as nothing. We were looking out for a chandalier but didn't see one.

I seem to remember from my Yachtmaster prep that a simple way to remember this is to imagine the vessel being towed was not being towed, and what lights it soul show. Then transfer thesevtonthe towing vessel.

This won't be a precise relating of what I was told - it was 5 years ago, and I haven't been to sea for 3 years.... Perhaps someone else can expand....
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

canalcruiser is offline Registered User

Please rememeber,its best to have a good look out and radar when towing the borrowed objets out of port.When well clear light up.Otherwise you may be seen
    ditchcrawling