Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

Default Watching TV using Apple TV

Not wanting to high-jack a similar thread.:
    Is there any way of watching something on a standard TV which is being streamed through an Ipad (when on the boat). I recently had an Apple TV bought for me but I cant get it to work on the boat because it seems it needs a network to function and unless I'm doing something wrong ( which is likely) I couldn't get a signal strong enough for it to work.
    I was using my Iphone to set up a network "hotspot".
    www.sealinef43.com - Stunner for sale. (Actually its now sold!)

Smile

Apple TV requires you to 'Network' (wirelessley connect) your laptop/ipad/iphone/ipod to the Apple reciever, the apple reciever is only used to display the streamed content from the connected/Networked devices onto a TV/Monitor display.

As long as the hotspot is able to stream content to your networked devices then the apple Tv will take that and display it via your connected TV/Monitor, the Apple TV as far as I'm aware is only a way of streaming content from your devices wirelessly it's the devices connected on your network that do the connection to the hotspot.

Hope that makes sence?

Another way of doing the same thing but much cheaper by using a laptop:
    Most modern TV's have a PC input port (D Link, cable from PC to TV for around 5) you can display anything thats available on your PC via the TV, DVD's,music, youtube photo's, videos, internet etc etc.
    Last edited by enterprise; 25-04-12 at 09:17.
    Living the Champagne lifestyle on Beer Money

just get a cheap wireless-n spec router. Then connect the iPad to the router via wifi and the Apple TV via Ethernet or wifi.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
    just get a cheap wireless-n spec router. Then connect the iPad to the router via wifi and the Apple TV via Ethernet or wifi.

Done.
    This is interesting ( well to me it is! )I've never thought of a router as being any use except when connected to a phone line, but for what I need this could be the answer.

'Scuse my silly questions but I just want to be sure I understand you.
    Are you saying that all I would need is 240v power to the router and either a Cat5 cable from the router to the Apple TV (or a WiFi connection) and then the Ipad could connect to the Apple TV wirelesly ( as it does already but the signal is poor and so it doesn't work)?

Get one of these: http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CFIQ8wIwAw

It doesn't need 240V just a USB connection so you can use a USB car charger.

I carry one when travelling as it has loads of useful functions like sharing hotel wifi.
    It's later than you think.

Yep you've got it bang on.

You are actually connecting the iPad to the Apple TV via the router as the router is the device 'hosting' the wifi network.

Any router will work, but one with wireless-n will have a better connection and further range.

The above will work for music and video but I'm unsure whether it will connect to two wifi networks.

Quote Originally Posted by pteron View Post

I carry one when travelling as it has loads of useful functions like sharing hotel wifi.

I'm sure this would work for most stuff but check whether it can handle HD video

It's a full N router. It most certainly handles HD video.

It also bridges wifi. Acts as an access point. Acts as a wifi dongle. Extends wifi range.

And finally, plug a 3G dongle into it and it will provide a data hotspot.

The user interface is not the most intuitive but it has extremely good functionality. It is the dogs danglies.

If mine broke or got stolen I'd buy another one immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
    Yep you've got it bang on.

You are actually connecting the iPad to the Apple TV via the router as the router is the device 'hosting' the wifi network.

Any router will work, but one with wireless-n will have a better connection and further range.

The above will work for music and video but I'm unsure whether it will connect to two wifi networks.
    Been out and bought a "traditional" N spec router before I saw this.........

Quote Originally Posted by pteron View Post

But to be honest, I'll be happy with the one "traditional" router so long as it works and having spoken to my wife getting the Apple TV gizmo to work might be a miracle. It looks like we might have thrown it out!
    When I couldn't get this brand new bit of kit to work I very carefully place it back in it's box and she thinks she threw the box out last week!

So now I've got the router but no Apple TV! I'll know for sure when we get to the boat but either way thanks for your help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepipdoc View Post
    It looks like we might have thrown it out!
    Oops!