Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Me too, thats what we do. What do you use to mark the bow lines? I use a cable tie slotted through the twines of the rope but the cable ties disappear regularly so I was wondering if there's a better way
    last year in Cassis,
    I had a very thin (2mm) piece of rope, red and green,
    around the bow mooring lines.

I didn't slot them trough the twines, but fixed very tight,
    could pull the mooring lines through the fairleads without moving the position of the indicator ropes.

DougH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    +3.
    Re. marking, if you clean well one inch of the line in the proper position, wait till it dries out completely, and go round it some times (at least 4 or 5) with some Scotch electrical tape, it lasts for months - often for the whole season.
    The only caveat is that you should mark the line outside the boat - e.g. 5" before the fairleads. This way, the taped part will never be scratched and will last much longer.
    Oh, and wihle you are at that, you can as well use red and green tapes, to avoid confusion between port and stbd lines respectively!
    Same as what I do but I also add a red or green cable tie over the tape.

If you use good quality electricians tape rather than B&Q's product you will be amazed how long it will last.

Tip. Always stretch the tape as you apply it.

Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    Yup, I forgot to mention it, but I also do that.
    It really improves the adhesion, 'cause the tape almost "blends" with the line.

mikef is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DougH View Post
    Same as what I do but I also add a red or green cable tie over the tape.

If you use good quality electricians tape rather than B&Q's product you will be amazed how long it will last.

Thanks to all for replies. I've tried tape but it didn't last either but I didn't stretch it very hard. Maybe thats the answer

Well I don't use anything, because on my mooring the rope joins the chain about 3 feet below the point where I cleat off, so I can guess it closely enough, but if you want something permanent why don't you get some red whipping twine and whip a length of about 20mm?

http://www.force4.co.uk/3798/Liros-W...mm---Red-.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    ........but if you want something permanent why don't you get some red whipping twine and whip a length of about 20mm?
    +1. Always used waxed whipping and never had an issue with it lasting, needs to be sewn through and tied off properly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    Well I don't use anything, because on my mooring the rope joins the chain about 3 feet below the point where I cleat off, so I can guess it closely enough
    Are your bow lines different in some other respect?
    I'm asking because aside from the length, I find it convenient to have an obvious way to differentiate between port and stbd lines.
    In fact, sometimes it happens that the dock hand gives you the wrong one.
    Though actually that is more of a problem if you have fin stabs, because by crossing the line under the hull you risk to pinch it between the fin and the hull.
    Which makes for an interesting situation, the next time you're leaving your berth...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Are your bow lines different in some other respect?
    I'm asking because aside from the length, I find it convenient to have an obvious way to differentiate between port and stbd lines.
    In fact, sometimes it happens that the dock hand gives you the wrong one.
    Though actually that is more of a problem if you have fin stabs, because by crossing the line under the hull you risk to pinch it between the fin and the hull.
    Which makes for an interesting situation, the next time you're leaving your berth...
    The lazy line of one is attached to the mooring ring on one side of the boat, the other on the other side, so no chance of getting them mixed up. The bigger issue is to be given the neighbours port side line instead of your stbd side, and vice versa, but the lazy lines are (by chance) a different colour so we always know.