Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Chain or warp - swing mooring advice

n the Shrimper I've used an 8ft rope with hard eye either end, one shackled to the mooring(swinging) and one to the eye on the stem. I replace each year as required following chafe in our fairly exposed moorings. This year I'm thinking of chain rather than rope so to cut down on annual replacement.. Any views on length and weight of chain?

Same weight as your anchor chain will do. Why not use a chain as a backup device to a rope though?

VicS is offline Registered User

I have always moored with all chain. 19ft boat .

My chain is heavier than the anchor chain .. Not sure of the size. It's what is supplied by the boat yard 8mm ( or 5/16") I think. Whatever it is it's the largest size that will fit over the bow roller.

In an exposed location it is a good idea to lash a chain to the bow roller unless you have a securing pin. A rope that jumps out will not do a massive amount of damage but chain will.
    Last edited by VicS; 25-04-12 at 23:21.

dsw is offline Registered User

warp has been ok for me for the last 5 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sy-Revolution is offline Registered User

We kept Revolution on a swing mooring at Pin Mill before heading for warmer climes. One Autumn we left her after a weekend sail, I had been thinking I should tie her up with chain as winter was approaching and vowed to do just that the following week.

A storm blew up sometime mid week and I shot down to the Orwell as soon as I could but by the time I got there the fetch from the length of the river and the strength of the wind made it far too dangerous to head out in an inflatable dinghy on my own.

I prayed she'd be ok......

Apparently she'd cut her lines later that day (the delta sawed through them) and she was rescued just inches from Butt Bouy. We very nearly lost her.

I'd never leave a boat on anything but chain now, at least the first few meters, even for a few days and always pull the anchor off the roller and clear.....

C.

William_H is offline Registered User

Default Chain or rope

I would always go for rope but do provide a backup of more rope. olewill

BAtoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sy-Revolution View Post
    Apparently she'd cut her lines later that day (the delta sawed through them) and she was rescued just inches from Butt Bouy. We very nearly lost her.

I'd never leave a boat on anything but chain now, at least the first few meters, even for a few days and always pull the anchor off the roller and clear.....

C.
    That event is from leaving an anchor stowed in the roller & less to do with what you moored with....

I've done a season with double rope & no sign of wear yet & overwintered on the mooring on a chain & will probably keep that this season (with a rope secondary).
    Used some old anchor chain suitable for the boat.

Many thanks all. I'm going for all chain at about 10ft and cOvering with flexi hose to protect the hull - just in case.Thinking of buoying the chain to reduce knocking up against the mooring buoy.

onesea is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Swg View Post
    Many thanks all. I'm going for all chain at about 10ft and cOvering with flexi hose to protect the hull - just in case.Thinking of buoying the chain to reduce knocking up against the mooring buoy.
    I do not think you will regret, even if many people use rope for many years.

There is reassurance with chain, with rope you only need to get unlucky once!

I am not certain what you call Flexi-Hose I went for some of the LEAST flexible hose I could find. See attached, I do not understand why people use rope with the worries of chafe etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

had a mooring in the helford last year - nice place but exposed to the east. first night there was a stiffish ( maybe 20kn)) south easterly and moored with just the chain provided, the boat snatched so badly that the for cabin was unuseable and I feared for my cleats.

so for the rest of the season we moored with slack of a foot in the chain and a 19mm nylon rope from the buoy over the roller and through snatch blocks to the sheet winch. worked like a dream - boat on a long bungy cord that took up all the snatch with the back up of the chain if it gave way.
    Last edited by Bosun Higgs; 26-04-12 at 08:12.