Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Angele is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    In option 1 how do you know it will be days or weeks?
    ... we are told that, in 78 days, he saw just three ships. So, I have assumed a sighting on average every three weeks. Now, he might have seen one ship very shortly after the dismasting and, having let off just one flare, thought "never mind, there will be another along tomorrow." On the other hand he might not.

Presumably, if the 78 days were representative of the density of traffic in that area, then he would have known that before the incident because the waters then would also have been empty. I think that knowledge would make me more likely to let off all my flares at the first ship I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Angele View Post
    ... we are told that, in 78 days, he saw just three ships. So, I have assumed a sighting on average every three weeks. Now, he might have seen one ship very shortly after the dismasting and, having let off just one flare, thought "never mind, there will be another along tomorrow." On the other hand he might not.

Presumably, if the 78 days were representative of the density of traffic in that area, then he would have known that before the incident because the waters then would also have been empty. I think that knowledge would make me more likely to let off all my flares at the first ship I saw.
    You are right, but that wasnt the question.

The question was, if you had 3 fires would you fire them at the first ship you saw. It want referring to this particular incident.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

The question was, if you had 3 fires would you fire them at the first ship you saw. It want referring to this particular incident.

No, they could be an unfriendly git and pretend not to see you, Far better to have a pop at three captains. IMO

Angele is offline Registered User

... Where is a "pedant" smiley when you want one!

Ok, can I qualify the earlier question?

If you were in his situation (and all other reliable means of communication - VHF, EPIRB, satphone, etc - were unavailable to you) would you ......

Quote Originally Posted by Sailfree View Post

EPIRBS with GPS now down to 350 would you sail an ocean without one?
    Under 300 if you shop around... If it lasts 10 years with a replacement battery after 5, that's under 40pa. A small price to avoid such an ordeal...

I am very glad his last flare was seen.

Comrade Red is offline Registered User

The interpoll picture of him looks scary!

Pye_End is offline Registered User

On the other hand, these are the same people that are quite happy for soemone else to pay for a rescue.

Not sure I agree with that attitude.
    Don't know of anybody that would reject free rescue if it were offered and needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pye_End View Post
    Don't know of anybody that would reject free rescue if it were offered and needed.
    Yes, but if there were no free rescues available, would we be as likely to launch off solo without better comms equipment!

A Swedish bloke sails from England and the South Africans end up spending months looking for him. Paid for by South African taxes.

Can you just imagine one of their politicians asking for a budget increase to allow for the cost of searching for foreign sailors?

Fortunately we are geographically not in a place that lots of yachtsmen seem to get lost in when circumnavigating.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Do the constant references to losing his mast and therefore having no power refer to him losing sail power? Why would he lose engine power when he lost his mast? Could he not rig up a temporary VHF aerial when he lost his mast or did he not have a VHF?

Richard
    VHF only has a short range (say 20 miles) and it is unlikely that any ship will be keeping VHF watch 300 miles off shore. So not much point even rying really.

Engine? It's unlikely he would have fuel for 300 odd miles, especially bearing in mind that he couldn't afford an EPIRB. He may only have had an outboard to get in & out of port.

The article says he managed to set up a jury rig but had difficulty maintaining the required course with it.

I think he did everything about right, including rationing himslef on food water & flares!
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Pye_End is offline Registered User

Yes, but if there were no free rescues available, would we be as likely to launch off solo without better comms equipment!

A Swedish bloke sails from England and the South Africans end up spending months looking for him. Paid for by South African taxes.

Can you just imagine one of their politicians asking for a budget increase to allow for the cost of searching for foreign sailors?

Fortunately we are geographically not in a place that lots of yachtsmen seem to get lost in when circumnavigating.
    Presumably you are talking about search costs rather than rescue costs.

It is a matter of self preservation to take an EPIRB on such a trip as much as anything else, and a personal choice for many. I havn't seen anything to suggest that an expensive search was something he expected or wanted. Most people these days may choose to have one for such a trip, but if you don't want to risk being a burden on any sea rescue services - ever - then there is one sure way. It is also a great cure for seasickness.