Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by lenseman View Post
    I can look drunk when I walk.
    I'd definitely be doing that.
    Take whatever helps. Even if it is a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by Conachair View Post
    Canīt remember ever calling up a ship offshore and not have them answer. Having one pass close enough to call might be a different matter though.
    You've been lucky.My experience is that it is very difficult to get a reply when calling a ship.

alant is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Conachair View Post
    Canīt remember ever calling up a ship offshore and not have them answer. Having one pass close enough to call might be a different matter though.
    On a delivery from Cape Town to UK, we once saw a stationary ship somewhere off Cape Verdes. Tried VHF, SSB, Sound signals to no avail. When within about quarter of a mile, prop suddenly started turning & it dissappeared going away from us, over the horizon.

alant is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    That surprises me Searush! I always though that ships kept a watch (listen) on CH16 even in the middle of an ocean and therefore one would probably be able to hail a ship which was visible.

I think our intrepid Swede saw three ships but possibly he used/wasted two of his flares because he had no VHF?

Richard

Just read Conachair's post 25 so perhaps I am correct?
    Thats why Ch 70, so they don't need to "keep watch".

Quote Originally Posted by 30boat View Post
    You've been lucky.My experience is that it is very difficult to get a reply when calling a ship.
    Offshore?

I really canīt remember ever trying to hail a ship onshore, like a channel crossing, so canīt comment there.

But off the shelf never had a problem. Not a huge sample size though when you only see maybe 1 a week. They usually seem bored and quite happy to have a chat. Sometimes Iīll watch their ais course change by maybe 10deg to leave me more room then change back again, which is an excuse to radio up to say thanks and have a chat. Canīt remember ever having one not answer quickly. And they always knew I was there as well which is heartening.

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    On a delivery from Cape Town to UK, we once saw a stationary ship somewhere off Cape Verdes. Tried VHF, SSB, Sound signals to no avail. When within about quarter of a mile, prop suddenly started turning & it dissappeared going away from us, over the horizon.
    The exact same thing happened to me once off Morocco.I was monitoring the ship on radar and it seemed to me that a small boat left the ship before it shot off.

Default saftey at sea

As I am sure most long distance sailors would agree we should be resonsable for our own safety and prepair out yachts to the highst standard. That said If you wnat to sail the oceans the size of the yacht is not important its your attitude and knowledge that will save you. 3 pieces of equipment I personaly regard as esential on an ocean going yacht of ANY size are. 1 x E.P.I.R.B. 1x Jordan series drouge. 1 x hand operated water maker. You can catch food but you can run out of water. No water you die but you can last along time without food. But all said I am very happy for the chap and his family that he is safe and sound