Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone using SSB in Europe?

Hi all,
    just wondering if anyone is using SSB in the Med/Europe? I'm just looking to arrange a chat to test my install. I'm pretty sure we're all good as I'm sending e-mail using sailmail via Belgium (from West Scotland) but it would be good to test voice quality too.

Very pleased with the system, and the Pactor modem. One thing that has been good is a grounding system that doesn't require any holes through the hull. check out www.kiss-ssb.com, seem to deliver exactly as promised. Out yacht already has a traditional ground but I'm now using that for the Navtex which has improved it's reception quality considerably.

It's not using anywhere near the amps I thought it would, and using saildocs I can get text versions of web sites, plus all my weather etc. for next to nothing. Glad I went SSB first instead of SatPhone. First real test will be when we ship out up to Orkney, then Norway next month.

cheers, Malc

Quote Originally Posted by MBullock View Post
    check out www.kiss-ssb.com, seem to deliver exactly as promised.
    Ah yes, the worlds most expensive pieces of wire for those lacking a pair of pliers and a tape measure.
    whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul..I account it high time to get to sea..

Hi all,
    just wondering if anyone is using SSB in the Med/Europe? I'm just looking to arrange a chat to test my install. I'm pretty sure we're all good as I'm sending e-mail using sailmail via Belgium (from West Scotland) but it would be good to test voice quality too.

Very pleased with the system, and the Pactor modem. One thing that has been good is a grounding system that doesn't require any holes through the hull. check out www.kiss-ssb.com, seem to deliver exactly as promised. Out yacht already has a traditional ground but I'm now using that for the Navtex which has improved it's reception quality considerably.

It's not using anywhere near the amps I thought it would, and using saildocs I can get text versions of web sites, plus all my weather etc. for next to nothing. Glad I went SSB first instead of SatPhone. First real test will be when we ship out up to Orkney, then Norway next month.

cheers, Malc
    Have you looked at Winlink. This could provide additional routes for e mail messages and some Winlink stations run both pactor3 and Winink software modems.

Pactor can work at low power settings so no need to tturn up the wick more than necessary. Even though some radio manufacturers say they can cope with 100% duty cycles it is still possible to destroy the PA transistors on full power .

If you run an 802 and damage the transmitter to the extent it blows fuses then for receive only of faxes and navtex you can disconnect the transmit PA section so you can run on receive only and the fuses do not blow.

I usually run on 20 metres here so no good for working West of Scotland.
    Eastern Scotland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgediver View Post
    Have you looked at Winlink.
    Thanks will take a look.

I plan to get my rig up and running in May, based in the North Adriatic. I do not have a ground yet but if I do get something sorted out I will try WinMore.
    This uses the sound card of PC as modem.
    call sign ZL1ASM

Default WINMOR

In a couple of previous posts WINMOR (the sound card protocol) is misspelled and, I think, mistaken for Winlink. Some of the Winlink gateways support both Pactor and WINMOR protocols but you need a ham id to access those gateways.
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

>just wondering if anyone is using SSB in the Med/Europe?

It's very rare to non-existant. Technically there is a Med net but nobody uses it which is a shame. For example, outside Europe there are lots of nets from from ocean to weather to safety and security to marina nets including such things as social events, things for sale, help with repairs. As I always say it's the lifeblood of long distance cruising.

jdc is offline Registered User

Default SW UK do?

If you've a call sign you care to post (here, or by pm), and a frequency suggestion and time, I'll try to call you this w/e if you like. Only a relatively short path, since I'll be in Cornwall not the med. I suspect that 3.5 or 7MHz bands (ie '80m' or '40m') will be best.

I assume you've an amateur band set up, but we could also try an inter-ship call if you're licensed for that (again, we'd have to pick a channel, time and need to know each other's call signs). Could even try it by DSC.

I'm afraid it would only be voice since I can not transmit TTY or HF Fax. However I have arranged with a friend to try sending me both a fax and a TTY message this coming weekend (from Bedford), so I could let you know when and on which frequency he's sending and you could also try to receive them. Like you, I'm checking the set-up prior to setting off in a few weeks.

Hi all,

cheers, Malc
    Donīt think I can help much with the main question, sounds like you are on marine ssb. If you can recieve\transmit on the ham bands then wspr can be useful to check how your set is doing http://wsprnet.org/drupal/

Also, have you checked out the DWD forecasts on 10.1Mhz? Frank has some info here .. http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-...her-Broadcasts

Jvcomm will decode them, set ..
    Type - baudot
    baudrate - 50
    shift - 450
    centre freq - 800.

Some very good weather info for the north sea and some for Norway also.

Good luck with it all

I will be sailing in the Adriatic and further west in July/Aug/Sept.
    Would be interested in testing/signal reports with fellow onboard hams.
    One poss time would be after Med net which finishes around 0600Z.

Germans can be quite active on 14313 late afternoon.
    An English net early eve would be nice!
    We could try the new extended 40mtr band up to 7200.
    Not so crowded as below 7100.
    Altho realise this may be diff for Marine sets.

What do the more experienced suggest!?

Med/Atlantic Maritime HF NETS plus RFI/BBC fcsts

Med Net 05.30 UTC 8122 (occ 8131/8107/8104)

Dragnet 06.00 UTC 6516 MHz Western Med (never heard)

Med Net 07,00 UTC 7.085 MHz (never heard)

British Maritime Net 0800 UTC 14.303 MHz

Monaco Radio 09.30 UTC 8728/13146 (AM)

RFI Atlantic fcst 11.30 UTC 15.300 Mhz (AM) (plus6175,17570,21645)

BBC R4 Ship fcst 0048,0520,1201,1754 UTC/BST 198 (AM)

South Atlantic Net 1140 UTC 14.316 MHz

Canadian Maritime Net 1230 UTC 14.1225 MHz "Mississauga"

OCC NE (Maine) summer net 07.30EDT 4045 MHz
    Cruiseheimer's/US East coast 08.30EDT 8137 MHz

Transatlantic MaritimeMobile Net 1300 UTC 21.400 MHz

South Africa Net 16.00 UTC 21.365 MHz
    German Maritime net 16.30 UTC 14.313 MHz

British Maritime Net 1800 UTC 14.303 MHz

Italian Maritime Net 1900 UTC 14.2975 MHz
    Alfredo IK6JF 1900 UTC 14306 MHz

Herb Hilgenberger Southbound 11 Net 19.30/20.00 Z 12.359 MHz