Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Does a wheelhouse sound attractive?

What better feeling that being behind the wheel of your boat, sun beating down and the sails fully set.

The trouble is for the last month in has been cold, very windy or no wind and wet. In has rained almost continually and we are in Spain!

I didn't think I would say it but it is at times like this when a wheelhouse with a decent seat and place to put your tea sounds very attractive.

prv is online now Registered User

As I've mentioned in the past, I often amuse myself by designing liveaboard world-cruising boats that I will never actually own. An inside steering position is always a non-negotiable feature.

On the current sketch, this helps with the big aft cabin concept by allowing the "fair weather cockpit" to be at deck level, giving lots of headroom below. If there were no inside control position, the outside cockpit would have to be much more sheltered, meaning lower.

Pete

Default Cape and Sou'wester

From a leisure perspective when not sailing a wheel house is far better in inclement weather than big cockpit tents. When sailing, even in the grim, dreach clag I prefer to be outside, even when its cold. Thats not to say that wouldn't mind a bit of wheelhouse comfort or appreciate it. Not at all.

Anyway, as Billy Connelly says, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes." So get your layers on, don the cape and sou'wester.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Wansworth is offline Registered User

The big problem with the wheelhouse is it obscures vision forward in thr normal set up.With modern day control systems there can be remote control so there is no need to be in the w/h to manuver if good vision is required,With self steering equipment there is no need to actually have a cockpit or sit in the w/h in fine weather,The main use of the w/h is as mentioned to take tea and take in the view especially early in the morning whilst in ones pjamas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    I didn't think I would say it but it is at times like this when a wheelhouse with a decent seat and place to put your tea sounds very attractive.
    Yet to come across a sailing boat that can be effectively sailed from inside. However I did once own a Prout cat with a hardtop and that was a very effective compromise. And yes you could put your tea down unlike in a mono.

MrCramp is offline Registered User

I have got a half-wheelhouse...................known as a dog-house!! SWMBO thought that meant we could take the dog with us!!

I intend to get a cover made to fit between the dog house and the rear cabin but I think I have got the best of both worlds.

PS Also got two masts!
    Last edited by MrCramp; 26-04-12 at 14:42.

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Yet to come across a sailing boat that can be effectively sailed from inside.
    What I had in mind was ocean work, where most of the time nobody except the windvane is actively sailing the boat. Somebody should still be on watch, though, so giving them a warm dry place to sit seemed like a good idea.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    The trouble is for the last month in has been cold, very windy or no wind and wet. In has rained almost continually and we are in Spain!
    Ya big jessie...
    Cynical Scots engineer who sails a Mirage 28

Wansworth is offline Registered User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
    Ya big jessie...
    He oviously expected people flaunting their bodys in the sun......

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast