Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    EuanMcKenzie is offline Registered User

I have a Rasmus and find it a good compromise

glass windscreen sorts visability forward

handles on roof sort accessability forward via wide side decks

cover on back half of cockpit has two roll up doors so you can sail indoors if really miserable

its great when a squall comes in to turn on the autopilot and just slide forward under teh cover of the hardtop
    HR Rasmus, Cabatach - Largs
    Red Optimist in the Shed!

The sad thing is we have a raised cockpit and a wireless remote for the auto pilot so I could steer from inside if needed but it does not feel right. I need to be out there in the wind, rain and cold stood behind a wheel so I know i am sailing but occasionally the thought of wheelhouse just seems good.

Barnac1e is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MrCramp View Post
    I have got a half-wheelhouse...................known as a dog-house!! SWMBO thought that meant we could take the dog with us!!
    I intend to get a cover made to fit between the dog house and the rear cabin but I think I have got the best of both worlds..
    After 50 years of sailing wet and sporty boats the light dawned and at the age of 70 I too bought a boat with a doghouse. Why it took so long to wise up I'll never know.

With an inside wheel with comfortable seat AND an aft tiller I have the best of both worlds. The one downside is the inability to see what the mainsail is doing, but that disadvantage is a small price to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus
    What better feeling that being behind the wheel of your boat, sun beating down and the sails fully set.
    When you do reach more southerly latitudes your "better feeling" will be getting very sweaty and wilted in the full glare of searing sunlight. A doghouse solution is the answer, as is a permanently-rigged bimini - I have both - and impossible (and seriously unhealthy) to sail without.
    Last edited by Barnac1e; 28-04-12 at 09:29.

I gave a lot of thought to installing a wheel and engine controls in my bridgedeck saloon. In the end I decided it would be sufficient to have the autopilot repeater in reach of my chart table seat so I can dodge without going on deck.

BTW I also have a doghouse.
    One hull good, two hulls better.

We have what H Rassy call a hard top, closed at the front and sides but open to the stern. It has opening windows in the front. When I first looked at the boat with a view to purchasing it nearly put me off. However now I can hardly imagine sailing a boat without one. Its great in the Med. summer heat as shade and we have a bimini to cover the rear of the cockpit. It was great sailing in the winter in northern Europe as a canvas cockpit cover with clear plastic window attaches.

Finally we have just completed a 45 mile stretch across the Aegean with winds constantly above 35kts gusting to 42 kts the spray was hitting the front like bullets, we were tucked under the hard top in shirts and trousers clipped on with lifejackets to hand feeling very comfortable. The wife who is a bit nervous in such conditions would never have put up with it if we only had a spray dodger like our last boat.

Question Wheelhouses...why so few, in our climate?

Very interesting thread.

I’m routinely laughed at on this forum, for trying to find ways for yachts with sheltered helm positions to show less restricted performance. I recognise that ‘raised-saloon’ cruisers manage many of the accomplishments of both styles.

I suppose that the type of yacht which is designed with a large wheelhouse, is quite often a hefty old motor-sailer anyway, and the raised superstructure has unfortunately stuck in the common thinking, as inevitably the fruit of compromise.

But…even where that’s accurate, isn’t it easily worth it? Even just in pure value terms?

I mean, in UK waters, would you rather spend the winter holiday aboard a Nauticat or a Beneteau? The first offers a well-lit 360ļ visibility place to eat meals, and a warm place to steer, even in a frosty gale; the other…I don’t want to think about it!

A simple, serious question for owners of yachts with unsheltered cockpits: are you honestly content with such a large investment in a toy that’s only a pleasure from April to October at best? My respects, to those who can afford such small returns.

Hardcore racers and other oil-skinned masochists may claim to relish fresh air and performance in all weathers. That won’t persuade SWMBOs and sane friends. Isn’t it as simple as motoring in UK weather - and choosing between a motorbike and a Range Rover?

It hasn’t escaped me, that X-Yachts, Sweden Yachts and Nautor Swans are about as sleekly sporty as cruisers get, and that they’re from cold latitudes. Perhaps the fact that they’re all MEGABUCKS, implies that their owners spend their winters in the Caribbean!

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    I put a cockpit "cover" on my 381 bene, its been down once. I designed it to be up when sailing. The sides and back zip up
    Got any pictures?

We deliberated over this question for quite a while & concluded that the more it works for you the more you use it. I'm done racing for now and being abandoned at the helm in inclement weather - A brief foray to mobo world for couple of years with a Botnia Targa 35 got us quite used to being able to sit and look out at our fabulous views even when the weather wasn't fine. She can be sailed from the chart table too with joystick ! SWMBO is now pushing ME to go away on the boat !!

Last edited by Al Dickson; 27-04-12 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    Very interesting thread.

Iím routinely laughed at on this forum,
    Infamy, infamy! They've all got it infamy!

I mean, in UK waters, would you rather spend the winter holiday aboard a Nauticat or a Beneteau? The first offers a well-lit 360ļ visibility place to eat meals, and a warm place to steer, even in a frosty gale; the otherÖI donít want to think about it!
    I go sailing to sail. If I want somewhere comfortable to eat meals I use a hotel or my home or - God Forbid - a caravan. And who wants to go cruising in winter round the UK when the days are short, cold and wet?

A simple, serious question for owners of yachts with unsheltered cockpits: are you honestly content with such a large investment in a toy thatís only a pleasure from April to October at best? My respects, to those who can afford such small returns.
    I sail all year round but toys bare toys. If you have to worry about the return or the costs you should not be owning the toy.

Hardcore racers and other oil-skinned masochists may claim to relish fresh air and performance in all weathers. That wonít persuade SWMBOs and sane friends. Isnít it as simple as motoring in UK weather - and choosing between a motorbike and a Range Rover?
    Do you really want SWMBO on board 24/7? Honestly? I am happy to sail with my beloved during summer ( Mast upright like a church steeple, flowers in vase and gin in the fridge) but in winter I race and want a good thrash to windward with the lads on board. Bit of male bonding and agression.

It hasnít escaped me, that X-Yachts, Sweden Yachts and Nautor Swans are about as sleekly sporty as cruisers get, and that theyíre from cold latitudes. Perhaps the fact that theyíre all MEGABUCKS, implies that their owners spend their winters in the Caribbean!
    Which of course is the answer. Rather than mess up the boat by adding a garden shed on top, go somewhere warm and give it a good thrashing. The boat that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Do you really want SWMBO on board 24/7? ...in winter I race and want a good thrash to windward with the lads on board. Bit of male bonding and agression.
    Thank you, Higgs; no-one could have more effectively explained why it's so great to have a wheelhouse, and ladies on board!

Wouldn't you acknowledge that several slick contemporary deck-saloon cruisers don't sacrifice much windward performance, while allowing the option of steering from the heated interior, when it's foul outside?

As to using the boat all year round - the reason (which you yourself identify) why so few do, is the comfortless business of steering whilst outside...plus the dim, gloomy saloons of yachts designed for bright Mediterranean or tropical sailing.

I think you're cut from hardcore-racer material - kevlar, I expect - determined to exude testosterone by persevering against frightful weather, in mindless, manly, unnecessary defiance of conspicuously comfortable alternatives! You like it more, the worse it gets!
    Last edited by dancrane; 27-04-12 at 17:31.