Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Talulah is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by michaelchapman View Post
    Genuine question:-

What is the risk of keeping them on board? (Assuming you are not going to use them).

My thinking is that I will keep a set of up to date flares on board, but I will also keep the old ones realizing that there is a risk they won't go off, or a risk of injury. If I have used up all my good flares and I am still in a dire situation about to die, then I will consider using my older flares which may be up to 5 years out of date (which may well blow up in my face) rather than otherwise face certain death.
    My experience of old flares is just a failure to set them off.
    I had some that were over 10 years out of date. Of those only 1 in 3 went off.
    Personally, out of date flares are better than no flares. My father only had on board other peoples expired flares. He considered them a huge waste of money with better things to spend the money on. I would agree with him.

Here is a link to the USA Federal Requirements brochure.
    http://www.uscgboating.org/fedreqs/default.html

In it they state you may carry 'out of date flares'. P17. But 'out of date' flares cannot be included in the count of flares on board.
    Last edited by Talulah; 27-04-12 at 09:40.

It has been mentioned that in some countries it is illegal to carry out of date flares. I have never heard of this and wondered if some one can provide the country in question as it seems very strange.

Personally I think flares have had their day provided you carry an alternative. We have three epirbs one fixed and two personnal, VHF fixed and hand held and a sat phone.

tonybannister is offline Registered User

I went to a lecture at the Cruising Association given by the sales manager of a major flare producer. He stated that out of date flares will not be dangerious. They may not be as bright and colours as sharp or reach their full height. So for this reason new flares should be bought. But keep the old ones and use them first, if they work you still have the new ones - if not set off the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mocruising View Post
    It has been mentioned that in some countries it is illegal to carry out of date flares. I have never heard of this and wondered if some one can provide the country in question as it seems very strange.

Personally I think flares have had their day provided you carry an alternative. We have three epirbs one fixed and two personnal, VHF fixed and hand held and a sat phone.
    France.

TQA is online now Registered User

I have had a tip on the carriage of out of date flares.

Keep them in a container marked "pyrotechnics to be used for training purposes only" and in a different location.

"Them's not flares, them's pyrotechnics mate". Might work
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

The OP says 'must carry'. But does not say for what purpose. Must carry for own satisfaction? Must carry to avoid hassle from Portugese officer trying to impress superior? Must carry for a particular race or rally? Must carry to keep everyone happy? 6 para, 4 red hand, 4 white hand, 2 floating smoke. Non out of date. Dont forget the heliograph, you never know when a heliograph may be just what isnt needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin_lacey View Post
    The OP says 'must carry'. But does not say for what purpose. Must carry for own satisfaction? Must carry to avoid hassle from Portugese officer trying to impress superior? Must carry for a particular race or rally? Must carry to keep everyone happy? 6 para, 4 red hand, 4 white hand, 2 floating smoke. Non out of date. Dont forget the heliograph, you never know when a heliograph may be just what isnt needed.
    The question that I am looking to get answered is what are the legal requirements to carry flares as you travel from country to country.

So far I have been told ;-

Britain 0

France also 0 providing the boarding officer accepts the comity ruling. BUT out of date flares are frowned upon.

Some country requires that I carry a BELL but I have forgotten which one.

USA 3 daylight 'markers' and 3 'night' markers.

rib is offline Registered User

portugal,amount depends on size of boat

rib is offline Registered User

plus horse u bouy with working light

Quote Originally Posted by rib View Post
    plus horse u bouy with working light
    Which country wants that?

I have a note here that says that one country [USA ?] requires a ring buoy and does not accept a horseshoe.