Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Diluting Dorset disgruntlement.

In order to dilute the disgruntlement of some of our illustrious members regarding the restrictions on parking their craft in the middle of the Olympic sailing, may I recommend wonderful Worbarrow. It comes with a choice of ends to suit Easterlies or Westerlies at no extra cost.If Easterlies, use Tyneham end...

If Westerlies use the Mupes end..

I read here recently that some have found their Delta would not bite - I have not had that problem and my 20kg has dug deep and held at up to a f6 at both ends without any problems.
    "Inshore along the Dorset Coast" is the definitive reference work for these waters.
    I would add that one should beware the nasty rock shown below at Mupes end if tempted to cut across the Bay hugging the shore - definitely worth avoiding - oh and the gunfire if you try to go when the Army are doing their thing!!!

Robin
    Pleiades of Birdham
    MXWQ5

Bumped over kimmeridge ledge a few years ago - it extends farther than you think!

I must disagree about Mupe Bay, which is definitely a place to avoid, despite the photos which give an impression of a quiet anchorage. The anchor holding is terrible, so you risk being dashed onto the shore at any time, you are vulnerable to severe catabatic gusts, there are reliable reports of sea monsters, sudden whirlpools at all states of the tide which can swallow yachts without a trace, and it is famous for being haunted, so you can't get a good night sleep. To cap it all you would be very vulnerable in the event of a tsunami, so its probably best to pass on by and wonder at the foolhardiness of the small number of yachts that risk being anchored there.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    I must disagree about Mupe Bay, which is definitely a place to avoid, despite the photos which give an impression of a quiet anchorage. The anchor holding is terrible, so you risk being dashed onto the shore at any time, you are vulnerable to severe catabatic gusts, there are reliable reports of sea monsters, sudden whirlpools at all states of the tide which can swallow yachts without a trace, and it is famous for being haunted, so you can't get a good night sleep. To cap it all you would be very vulnerable in the event of a tsunami, so its probably best to pass on by and wonder at the foolhardiness of the small number of yachts that risk being anchored there.
    Ok wont go there then
    I may be wrong but not always

You know it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
    You know it makes sense
    Us Eastcoasters much prefer mud
    I may be wrong but not always

Default Diluting Doset disgruntlement

GrahamD, I defer to your superior sea sense in this digruntlemt diluting discourse. I recant everthing. All stay away......... please.....it is this awful.......

Robin
    Pleiades of Birdham
    MXWQ5

There is no shore power, wifi or chandlery, that will never work.

And have you seen the size of the seagulls? Dunno what they eat but.....

Smile Diluting Doset disgruntlement

Aye Fergus, presumably you hit one of these stickyout bits - (looking East towards Kimmeridge and St Albans)....

As for the local shops, you are dead right Blueboatman, they are rubbish. Went ashore and up to Tyneham for more drink (to further quench disgruntlement). Couldn't get served anywhere. Very poor selection of ground tackle in the chandleries - mostly seemed to be boulders, early model Rocknas perhaps.
    And as for the wifi - couln't get online at all in the internet kiosk thingy......

Robin
    Pleiades of Birdham
    MXWQ5

My children will tell you that one of the highlights of their formative years was anchoring in Chapman Pool just to the east and swimming to the shore. My elder daughter had just gained her Queens Guide after struggling for years to swim in a pool - swimming ashore was a right of passage. Right up there with drying out against the wall in Lyme Regis later the same year and walking up to the town for fish and chips!

BTW their children loved Tyneham when we took them there recently, especially the school room and the church.