Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I've seen cow hitched sheets causing the clew cringle to start to break out of sails due to them crushing the material against the metal as they pull up tight around it.

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Wrong appendage - try a Lark's Head instead.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_hitch
    Was to see if anyone knew they (Cow Hitch and Larks Foot) were the same.
    Apologies accepted!
    C_W
    Last edited by Clyde_Wanderer; 26-04-12 at 22:22.
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

onesea is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    pre-fared? Is this another example of your unique approach to nautical terminology?

A cow hitch is ideal from the pov of low friction / snagginess when getting the genoa round the shrouds when tacking. The only problem is it can take a while to undo if you change headsails and want to use the same sheets. There is an obvious answer to this . . .

- W
    I do not hide the fact that my spelling on occasions is not the best.If it annoys you that much. You will never know in future if I am doing it for your benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Simondjuk View Post
    I've seen cow hitched sheets causing the clew cringle to start to break out of sails due to them crushing the material against the metal as they pull up tight around it.
    +1
    Cow hitches do seem to damage the sail, I have also seen them slip at the most inopportune moment. They can be a pig to get out the day you want to use it elsewhere, would not be my choice.

Hamma is offline Registered User

Would anyone use a cow-hitch on something they cared about like a sail? As soon as it's under load it crushes the clew and once it's been wet it can often only be removed with the aid of a knife.

Since the idea is to preserve the integrity of the 70ft sheet why tie it in a manner that increases the likelihood of having to sever it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
    Would anyone use a cow-hitch on something they cared about like a sail? As soon as it's under load it crushes the clew and once it's been wet it can often only be removed with the aid of a knife.

Since the idea is to preserve the integrity of the 70ft sheet why tie it in a manner that increases the likelihood of having to sever it?
    a single sheet will only work on a small boat, let a sheet fly & it might get your leg too
    I may be wrong but not always

Keep it simple, no knots:

Hope that the above is self explanatory. Never let me down in over thirty years.

Hadenough is offline Registered User

I have two eye splices in my sheets and attach them with the biggest bow shackle that I can get though the clew. Have to wear a head hat but I'm a builder so I'm used to that. Eye splices mean I can use the sheets for mooring lines too.

Default Shackle?

OK, but a shackle (especially a large one) on the clew can turn into a lethal weapon if the sail starts thrashing. A soft shackle made of a short length of Dyneema could be a safer option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    I have two eye splices in my sheets and attach them with the biggest bow shackle that I can get though the clew. Have to wear a head hat but I'm a builder so I'm used to that. Eye splices mean I can use the sheets for mooring lines too.
    real sailors dont use non stretch warps
    especially rafted to me
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
    Would anyone use a cow-hitch on something they cared about like a sail?
    I've not seen any problems to date, though I suspect to some extent it depends on the quality of the sail and how long you want to keep it for.
    Last edited by Judders; 27-04-12 at 09:02.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast