Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff Bay

Default Cardiff Bay

For one of our first ever trips out on Windthief this summer I want to go to Cardiff Bay.
    Simple reason for this is to get some practice handling her, sail trimming, mooring up, anchoring etc Ė basically to freshen up my skills. I also want to take my good lady and #1 son to get them comfortable with handling her, warps, sheets and sails etc. We all did a Comp Crew together two years ago but they have not been sailing since and I have only done a little more than them.

Is it possible to do this in the bay area? It look big enough but I have never been there and donít know if there any restrictions in place.

Also, this would be the first time that we would have ever used a lock so I would appreciate some guidance on how to do it correctly!
    We will be coming up from Barry and I have the Imray BC Pilot so happy with the navigation / pilotage piece Ė itís just the physical sailing skills that are rusty.
    Thanks in advance
    Paul
    I have a cunning plan - it's so cunning you could shave with it

The locks are easy enough, don't be daunted by the gates and the large chamber!
    Call the Barrage Control when you are in the Wrach Channel and they will tell you what lock number to go to.
    Lock ins are 1/4 to and 1/4 past the hour.
    Simply tie up in the lock, using a spring aswell and wait for the water to start pouring in!
    It is could ettiquette to enter the lock in order of arrival and to moor up as far forward as you can as there may be more boats coming in behind you.
    Once in the bay you can do as you please!
    Enjoy
    See the rainbow not the rain

I don't know the answer about anchoring, however I have never seen anyone anchored and I suspect that there is something on the bylaws banning anchoring. It would make sence as there are lots of pipes around the bay that have to do with the pumping/aeration that goes on.

I'd be interested if anyone has the definitive answer.

Default Locks

Sneds

Thanks - how do you rig the lines - is it as slips?

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Sneds View Post
    Simply tie up in the lock, using a spring aswell and wait for the water to start pouring in!

Enjoy

Hi.

When you tie up in the lock the pontoons raise and fall with the levels in the lock,so no need to worry about your lines.

There is a slight flow for a few seconds into the lock when they open the gates you need to be aware of,but its quite straight forward.

On a sunny weekend its gets very busy and you might have to raft up in the middle, but usualy there is lots of helping hands from other boats.

also there are lots of spectators above waiting for the yachty to fall in.

I am pretty sure anchoring is not allowed in the bay.

From Cardiff Harbour Authority byelaws:

http://www.cardiffharbour.com/objview.asp?Object_ID=63

19. (a) No Person shall anchor, moor, lay or raise ground mooring tackle that
    is likely to foul any of the equipment or pipe work that comprises the
    Aeration System laid on the bed of Cardiff Harbour.

and

Anchorage
    21. No Vessel or Pleasure Craft shall anchor, moor or remain on swinging
    grounds within Cardiff Harbour unless the prior written consent of the Harbour
    Master is obtained.

Apart from that I hope to see you out on the water, weather permitting!
    Last edited by carise; 28-04-12 at 11:25. Reason: -
    All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.

Hi Paul

As has been said, when you tie up in the lock the pontoon you tie up to rises or falls with you.
    Drive up to Cardiff and have a look, all will become clear. Go at low water and you,ll see the channel buoys sat on the mud!
    See the rainbow not the rain

Default Cardiff barrage

Approaching the barrage follow the buoyed channel into the outer harbour. Ships use the Wrach channel in and out of Cardiff so ensure alls clear before you start going in.

Close to the barrage wall theres a preferred channel buoy which is red and green. Going into the barrage you must leave this to stbd on the way in.

At half tide and above there is plenty of water ,at close to low tide (especially on the ebb)you must take care to keep in the channel.the red port hand buoys are up the bank slightly so at spring low tides they can be out of the water.

Once in the outer harbour wait until you get green lights on the lock you have been told to use. There are pontoons on both sides of the lock, if you rig lines and fenders both sides you can make a last minute change of plan if for example a boat nips in ahead of you and moors in the middle of the pontoon you planned to use.

At low tide the water comes into the lock quite violently so you need to moor up strongly with a good spring .At half tide or above there is very little flow in the lock ,

When the gates open wait a minute or two for the water flow to ease then proceed in to the bay. Its all much easier than it sounds.

Yacht leaving outer harbour.

Yacht tied to lock pontoon.

Strong flow at low tide.
    Last edited by graham; 29-04-12 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneds View Post
    Once in the bay you can do as you please!
    Enjoy
    There speaks a mobo driver.

You are not supposed to anchor in the bay and indeed there are pipes on the bottom feeding the air bubble outlets. You would be able to practise mooring up on the public pontoons and possibly picking up an unoccupied buoy outside Cardiff Yacht club - OK they are private buoys but whats the harm in a few practise runs?

Remember there is a speed limit in much of the bay even if few power boats ( the yellow ribs for example) seem to observe it.

In a way I guess it might be easier outside the bay. There is much less congestion and much less to hit if you cock up outside than inside.

Default Cardiff Bay

All

Many thanks for the advice and information. Happy to see that it is floating pontoons in the lock - that will make life easier.

We will give it all a go and see what is what. With the best part of five weeks to play with we hope to get a good look around the BC area.

Cheers again
    Paul