Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    Trafalgar Sailing in Gibraltar. The Canaries are in the Trade Winds, it may be hot on land, but out of the lee, it's just pleasantly warm.
    The Canaries are not in the trade winds most of the time - the trades tend to be 500 miles or so further South.

- W

Boomshanka is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hede View Post

I looked into Gibraltar but was put off when I heard about the big ship traffic. How busy is the area?

It all depends I guess, when I made the return crossing to Cueta it was surprisingly quiet, we didn't have to make any major adjustments to course that I can remember. I've experienced more traffic crossing over to Cherbourg from the Solent. If you're looking at doing a dayskipper, then dealing with ship traffic (under the guidance of an instructor) is all part of the experience... there's an argument for you to actually seek out the more tricky situations.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by webcraft View Post
    The Canaries are not in the trade winds most of the time - the trades tend to be 500 miles or so further South.

- W
    Agreed, but there is usually a good wind - wind acceleration zone - in certain areas between islands. I did my comp crew in Tenerife with Club Sail, had a great time. 20 degrees on land, tee shirt weather on board most of the year, calm conditions inshore and the above wind off toward La Gomera. Add tidal (just) and its hard to beat as I look out at the wind and rain.

Thanks for all the comments.

I went sailing in the Canaries in August and while it was not too hot on the water it is very difficult not to get burnt by the sun.

I looked into Gibraltar but was put off when I heard about the big ship traffic. How busy is the area?
    You'l
    Scotland is high on my list, thanks.

Any suggestions for Norway or Sweden? The only two schools listed on the RYA website are either too far from an airport or too expensive.
    You'll meet heavy traffic sometime. Might as well get over the fear with an instructor on.board.

BlueSkyNick is offline Registered User

A bit like there is no point in learning to drive a car without going into towns, learning to skipper a yacht on a course with ships around is actually a good thing.

Dear All

I have already ruled out ....... the south coast (I want to get further away from London).

Thanks
    I wouldn't necessarily rule out the solent. For a training ground its got everything - tidal, lots of other boats/ships, lots of different harbours all within a few miles of each other. You can easily do 3 harbours a day. For training its probably the best in the world.......

(I wouldn't want to sail there every weekend though - once every 10 yrs or so is fine!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MoodyNick View Post
    A bit like there is no point in learning to drive a car without going into towns, learning to skipper a yacht on a course with ships around is actually a good thing.
    And for that and other real world sailing, the Solent is probably hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    Trafalgar Sailing in Gibraltar. The Canaries are in the Trade Winds, it may be hot on land, but out of the lee, it's just pleasantly warm.
    Im not allowed to advertise. So I am not....
    www.herculessailing.com Straits Sailing Handbook 2014

andytrombone is offline Registered User

Another vote for Cornish Cruising.
    A fantastic sailing ground, you will get both good open sea sailing and interesting pilotage in rivers and harbours, including the Helford, Truro river and Carrick Roads.
    Good instructors, and if you are there at the right time, you can do your course and then be around for the Sea Shanty Festival (15th - 17th June). :-)