Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What a bxxxer

Here we go again, have a go at the fishermen. Why not just be vigilant and approach with caution, if you see a buoy, give it a wide berth in case there is rope on the surface.
    I'd like to see some of these comments made to the fishermen about here, you'd need to have pretty fast running shoes on.
    CJ

I have no problem with fishermen, they have to earn a living, although there are some cowboys who don't mark their pots with much more than an empty squash bottle.

However to link a whole trot of pot buoys with a floating rope just beggars belief. Sailing in these waters - East Coast - we find long rows of buoys in some ares, and you have to go between them. It would never occur to me to think they might be a continuous obstruction. Very dangerous practice in my opinion.

One would presume the only reason is laziness/convenience for the fisherman. He only has to pull up on one line, instead of each individually?

Burnham Bob is offline Registered User

Another East coast comment, we get lots of pots off Clacton and Walton and some aren't very well marked. I can see and avoid them in the daylight but at night I'm glad I've got a rope cutter just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham Bob View Post
    Another East coast comment, we get lots of pots off Clacton and Walton and some aren't very well marked. I can see and avoid them in the daylight but at night I'm glad I've got a rope cutter just in case.
    I have encountered long nets across the Wallet before today marked by very small yellow floats and a flag at each end (the flags ca. 0.5nm apart, you would not naturally assume anything was between them in that area). There was no guard boat in the vicinity.

nevis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejay View Post
    Here we go again, have a go at the fishermen. Why not just be vigilant and approach with caution, if you see a buoy, give it a wide berth in case there is rope on the surface.
    I'd like to see some of these comments made to the fishermen about here, you'd need to have pretty fast running shoes on.
    CJ
    Thats not. Fair comment in this case I did take avoiding action but did not expect 30 yards of floating line why didn't the fisherman mark them correctly like the other99percent do.

CJ
    Just adds to my comment regarding seffishness, seemingly some of you can resort to violence as an answer too.
    In that case I suggest all yachties who come across poorly marked obstructive pots just rip them out and distroy whether you get caught in them or not.
    Not nice but if it hurts in the pocket then you might be more considerate.
    Do you ever think of the consequences if someone did get caught in your ropes?
    Thankfully farmers take a different attitude, otherwise motorists would be killing cattle along the sides of roads.
    C_W
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

Clyde Wanderer, I know nothing about you, and you know little or nothing about me, but your comments come across as being immoderate and extreme.
    CJ

Clyde Wanderer, I know nothing about you, and you know little or nothing about me, but your comments come across as being immoderate and extreme.
    CJ
    Ceejay, I also know nothing about you which is why I dident direct my opinions directly at you but at "Some" fishermen in general.
    I can not judge you without knowing you you or your methods, but I have seen the methots of other fishermen and that's what I base my comments and feelings on regarding pot and their positions/markers etc.
    I have great respect for fishermen in general.
    C_W
    Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

Individual pots 'marked' by soft drink bottles, pick-up buoys and the like are bad enough, but trots of pots linked by floating lines are potentially lethal. If (heaven forbid) one of these set ups had caught Alba Venturer (for example) in a gale, and people were drowned I would like tp see the fisherman concerned charged with manslaughter.

Would it take something like that to happen to persuade the authorities to do something about this?

SHUG is offline Registered User

Don't all fishermen attend that excellent HSE course on "How to lay and mark lobster pots and be considerate to other boaties"?