Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1

    Default How easy or difficult was the first year aboard?

    Well after years of dreaming we bought our boat and have now been living aboard for over a year and have settled into the cruising life pretty well.

    Having said that the first year had its ups and downs. (see our blog)
    http://www.cygnus3.com/

    Changing your whole life style, getting used to life aboard, getting used to being in continual close contact with others. They all took some adjusting too but now we think we are about there....

    The first year is all about learning and I don't know if others had problems initially or not.

    My wife had a real bad blip six months in to the point we very nearly gave it all up. The kids had a couple of ups and downs and we were spending way to much of our savings.

    After a year we seem to learn how to budget a little better by anchoring and what foods are cheaper. You don't use the same ammount of money to keep yourselves amused and you grow into the life more.

    I don't think others trying this life may realise what a big adjustment it is and there may well be ups and downs but hang in there... as they say, life only gets better.

    Now none of us can think of any other way of living and we love it. Yes you do miss friends and family occasionally but the rewards are much greater. We sat there the other day looking at our surroundings and we all agreed we were the luckiest people in the world.

    Did you have problems in the first year and did you find it does take some adjustment or was it easy?

    Did you find life easier after the first year?

    I would be intrested in hearing your views.

  2. #2
    grumpygit's Avatar
    grumpygit is offline Registered User
    Location : Sailing the Aegean
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    Well after years of dreaming we bought our boat and have now been living aboard for over a year and have settled into the cruising life pretty well.

    Having said that the first year had its ups and downs. (see our blog)
    http://www.cygnus3.com/

    Changing your whole life style, getting used to life aboard, getting used to being in continual close contact with others. They all took some adjusting too but now we think we are about there....

    The first year is all about learning and I don't know if others had problems initially or not.

    My wife had a real bad blip six months in to the point we very nearly gave it all up. The kids had a couple of ups and downs and we were spending way to much of our savings.

    After a year we seem to learn how to budget a little better by anchoring and what foods are cheaper. You don't use the same ammount of money to keep yourselves amused and you grow into the life more.

    I don't think others trying this life may realise what a big adjustment it is and there may well be ups and downs but hang in there... as they say, life only gets better.

    Now none of us can think of any other way of living and we love it. Yes you do miss friends and family occasionally but the rewards are much greater. We sat there the other day looking at our surroundings and we all agreed we were the luckiest people in the world.

    Did you have problems in the first year and did you find it does take some adjustment or was it easy?

    Did you find life easier after the first year?

    I would be intrested in hearing your views.
    I think you've answered most of the probable problems by your own experiences.
    Are you writting a book? always a lot questions in your posts.

    .

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    I think you've answered most of the probable problems by your own experiences.
    Are you writting a book? always a lot questions in your posts.

    .
    I do write but I also like learning. What better way that from the experiences on here which have helped us so much so far. The day I no longer need to ask questions on here will be the day after my brain is amputated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,847

    Default

    Like you Nostro, for many years, I had the dream to sail off into the sunset.

    Got the chance to get voluntary redundancy from work, and my arm went up. Game on !!!!, sold house, car and all possesions. Bought boat and off we went. All very exciting. Sailed from east coast to cornwall and loved every minute of it. Then came the time to cross Biscay to Spain from Falmouth
    Got beaten up during the crossing, and arrived in spain rather shell shocked, took all my confidence away, and thought maybe this isnot for me. But carried on to our destination to winter in the canaries via Maderia. It did take some time to enjoy sailing, the boat proved how strong she was which gave us our confidence So yes the first year was very hard, a steep learning curve

    We had a loverly winter touring all the Canary islands then returned back to uk, via the Azores.and Ireland. Circumnavigated the uk, then wintered in Brighton.

    The next year we deceided to do the Big one and set sail for the Carribean.


    After 4years back in bricks and mortar, now fitting the old girl out for a trip to the med.

    May see you there...
    Last edited by Baggy; 28-04-12 at 10:27. Reason: bad splg

  5. #5
    grumpygit's Avatar
    grumpygit is offline Registered User
    Location : Sailing the Aegean
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
    I do write but I also like learning. What better way that from the experiences on here which have helped us so much so far. The day I no longer need to ask questions on here will be the day after my brain is amputated.
    I was just wondering if there would be a share out royalties to all contributors, to help the beer funds, of course.
    I'm not knocking it if you were Mark and you do get a lot of response and information. So much in fact that it must all need to be logged somewhere. Unless your pre-amputated brain has the capacity of cyberspace.

    .

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpygit View Post
    I was just wondering if there would be a share out royalties to all contributors, to help the beer funds, of course.
    I'm not knocking it if you were Mark and you do get a lot of response and information. So much in fact that it must all need to be logged somewhere. Unless your pre-amputated brain has the capacity of cyberspace.

    .
    I always read every reply as most of them have merits to some degree or other.
    It is like sailing with another skipper. You do take note of how he sails the boat and hopefully take away something you think you can do better. There are those things he may do which you totally don't want to take away but watching them do it makes you realise why.
    As for royalties.. We have to save up for a pen first.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dab123 View Post


    After 4years back in bricks and mortar, now fitting the old girl out for a trip to the med.

    May see you there...
    Dab,
    There is a beer in the fridge for you and I will try not to get it too shaken. Your mistake was obviously going to Cornwall first

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,142

    Default

    I don't think our first year was especially difficult or fraught with problems. For sure we learned much more in that first year than we have since, but we're always learning new things. I love the winter when you get to share good ideas and different ways of doing things with everyone else in the marina.

    I reckon if you've got the balls to do it in the first place then you're well able to handle whatever the cruising life throws at you.

    And if there is a book can I be in the list of acknowledgements please?

  9. #9
    TQA's Avatar
    TQA is offline Registered User
    Location : Carribbean currently Grenada
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,114

    Default

    This is my second cruising stint and thinking back to that first year when I was in my 40s there must have been a guardian angel looking after us because things that could have been dishearteneing or discouraging like getting beaten up on crossing Biscay or the Atlantic did not happen.

    There were no major breakages and only a few minor ones. This despite it being an old and not very well maintained steel boat. The engine kept running, the mast stayed up and the sails refrained from turning themselves into ribbons.

    Life was good in the Caribbean, so good that the vague plans for a circumnavigation were put on hold and some serious exploration in the Windwards and Leewards took place. I really enjoyed getting past the "tourist interface" and meeting everyday local people.

    It was so good that 20 years later I am back out here retired and loving almost every minute.

    Stroppy officials and squalls are not included in the above.
    Monkey patching programmer [retired ]

  10. #10
    ukmctc's Avatar
    ukmctc is offline Registered User
    Location : out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    993

    Default

    the 1st year has tobe the easiest one, you have loads of money and generally no idea, by the 2nd year you're getting into it or ran out of money and back ashore. I'd say the 2nd year was the hardest, once you realise you're not on holiday and have to settle into the new lifestyle. By the 3rd year you're relaxed and really enjoying it, by the 4th year you're wondering why you didn't do it ealier in life, bye the 5th year you're wondering what all the fuss is about. By year 6 you're those odd folk who live aboard in the marina....especially if you have not moved.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •