Default Feedback on Standard Horizon VHF with AIS

Has anyone installed the Standard Horizon GX2100 or GX2100E with built in AIS.

Good, Bad or Indifferent ???

Can it be mounted for use outside ?

crossy is offline Registered User

Yes, I had the GX2100E on my old boat.
    They are a good radio and being a Standard Horizon, has excellent after sales.

The only down side is that the unit can't receive AIS and voice traffic at the same time. The significance of that is the possibilty that the AIS does not update for a few minutes if there is heavy voice traffic, like a summer weekend in the solent.....

I didn't experience too much of this though and was quite happy with it.

You will need to link it to your plotter via NMEA to get the best from the AIS though.

Andrew

yes I installed the GX2100e and the SH plotter having bought them at a reasonable price at the boat show. Both work very well and I am pleased with the performance, although I haven't had chance to fully play with the AIS functions yet.
    I am not to sure of the use of the AIS screen on the radio, a tad small but the feed to the plotter solves that problem.
    One odd thing (considering they are a matched pair) - I expected the colour coding connection between the radio and the plotter to be "straight" (red to red etc) they aren't and you have to map the connections with the manuals.

slipknot is offline Registered User

I have the AIS VHF linked to the 180i plotter which is mounted on the binnacle. Works great. I'm on the itchen if you want to have a look

ANDY59 is online now Registered User

I was considering one with a command mike but have been told i will need a multiplexer to make it work with my raymarine plotter . ( another 180 )
    Something to do with baud rate !! ( spelling ).

Talking Well spelled

Quote Originally Posted by ANDY59 View Post
    I was considering one with a command mike but have been told i will need a multiplexer to make it work with my raymarine plotter . ( another 180 )
    Something to do with baud rate !! ( spelling ).
    Spelling correct 10/10
    Maximise your effectiveness at work - visit www.bluestone-training.com

G12 is online now Registered User

I have the GX2100E linked to A CP300E plotter. Both very well made bits of kit. I also have the RAM mike.
    The VHF needs to send the AIS data at 38400 so worth checking if your plotter will handle it.
    The prudent see danger and seek refuge.