Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Alarm

BlueLancer is offline Registered User

Default Exhaust Alarm

The latest PBY has an article describing how to build a very useful exhaust alarm for about 15.00. Does anybody know if it can be used for two exhausts to provide separate indications ie port alarm and starboard alarm. I envisage using two separate sensors but how would it be wired at the PCB.The obvious answer would be to build two separate alarms but being a tight yorkshireman .......
    I did not say it was your fault, I am just blaming you

stuey_two is offline Registered User

Smile

Turn off one engine - you'll soon save enough money to pay for a second alarm! Having two alarms will allow you to know which exhaust is overheating.
    You could buy a second thermistor and wire both in series but you would not know which of the two exhausts was overheating.

I'm glad you found it useful, but if you have two exhausts I'm afraid you need two alarms. If you connect two thermistors in either parallel or series you'll have to re-calibrate everything.

Cheers, David Berry
    Part-time Liveaboard
    http://www.seasolutions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by whiteoaks7 View Post
    I'm glad you found it useful, but if you have two exhausts I'm afraid you need two alarms. If you connect two thermistors in either parallel or series you'll have to re-calibrate everything.

Cheers, David Berry
    Thanks for the help Dave, excellent article.Now if you could turn your mind to a DIY bilge alarm, intruder alert, battery fail monitor with mobile alert

Puggy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by whiteoaks7 View Post

Cheers, David Berry
    Hi David, great article and description and just what I need, I have ordered the parts today and will have somemfun putting it together next week.

Quick question, any thoughts on the best way to secure the thermistor to the exhaust? I suppose the obvious solution is under a jubilee clip taking care not to crush it, but anyone got any better ideas?

I recall that a previous solution using thermistors had it tucked underneath the rubber exhaust hose - I'd guess trapped between the two jubilees would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Puggy View Post
    Hi David, great article and description and just what I need, I have ordered the parts today and will have somemfun putting it together next week.
    Me too, let me know how you get on and we can compare notes

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLancer View Post
    Me too, let me know how you get on and we can compare notes
    Will do

Default Bilge alarm

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLancer View Post
    Thanks for the help Dave, excellent article.Now if you could turn your mind to a DIY bilge alarm, intruder alert, battery fail monitor with mobile alert
    There are Velleman kits that would help with a bilge alarm (if you go to my website there's a page with a list of all the articles Ann and I have written so you can get the issue/number and refer back - okay, it's a way of getting you to look at the site but you might find something interesting / contentious there).

Battery fail monitor - I once made one of these for a previous boat, once the battery voltage dropped below a certain value a buzzer sounded, drew more current - and hastened the demise of the battery...
    :-( ...so I took it off.

As for fixing the thermistor, I scraped the paint off the elbow and glued it in place with epoxy making sure the thermistor body was touching the metal. If you're going onto a rubber exhaust then I agree some way of binding it should work.

Cheers, David Berry
    Part-time Liveaboard
    http://www.seasolutions.co.uk

Hi David. Just regular epoxy like araldite or something more heat resistant?

Also, can I ask one more question? My engine is under my deck saloon and that means a longish cable run up to where I can hear the alarm. Am I better to keep the thermistor cable run short as opposed to the piezo buzzer? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Best wishes

Piers
    Last edited by Puggy; 29-04-12 at 21:01.