Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Alarm

I think most epoxies would do it - the temperature on mine is only about 35C which I think is typical but if it's higher you might need to think again. The resistance of the wire won;t matter much whichever way around you do it - I suggest you place the box somewhere convenient so that you can twiddle the knob to fine tune the sensitivity and adjust one or both wires to suit. If you want more noise Maplin sell a really loud screetcher (I've got one on my gas alarm) so you could use that.

David Berry
    Part-time Liveaboard
    http://www.seasolutions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Puggy View Post
    Quick question, any thoughts on the best way to secure the thermistor to the exhaust? I suppose the obvious solution is under a jubilee clip taking care not to crush it, but anyone got any better ideas?
    The easiest and quickest way is to secure it with a piece of gaffer tape onto the metal part of the exhaust elbow and wrapped round a couple of turns.

The temp doesn't get very hot under normal conditions, and if it goes over 95 degrees or so your alarm will sound anyway. Much quicker than epoxy and easier too, although arguably not as elegant in engineering terms. Mine's been in 2 years now and no problems.

I found jubilee clips clamp with too much force.

It's a neat looking kit but beware - the clever bits of it have a large number of tags very close together. Soldering them without making accidental bridges between them is going to be a real challenge!

Puggy is offline Registered User

My kit has just arrived in the post - I am like a school boy unpacking his Airfix model!

WilliamUK is offline Registered User

My kit has just arrived in the post - I am like a school boy unpacking his Airfix model!
    "But I said I wanted a PlayStation!!!"?
    William
    Blithe Spirit - Lark 1804.

BlueLancer is offline Registered User

You must have got the last kit I am having to wait 9 days until new stock arrives
    I did not say it was your fault, I am just blaming you

affinite is offline Registered User

David, I dont have the PBO article but I know the kit youve used as I use one for my fridge thermostat. My electronics knowledge is very rusty so .. Did you just change the value of R4 to reset for a higher temperature range? Id guess changing R4 to 25K would reset the range for between 30 and 70 degrees ?
    Rgds Steve

Affinite - PM me an email address and I will send you a PDF of the article .

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLancer View Post
    You must have got the last kit I am having to wait 9 days until new stock arrives
    Sorry about that but i suspect lots of people read the article and thought they would have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamUK View Post
    "But I said I wanted a PlayStation!!!"?
    +1
    !!! That is what my son would have said!