Default Welsh Conservation Zones

You will not be able to use Menai Straits, Pwllheli, Skomer, Bardsey & Dale if they get their way.

Well maybe not quite yet, but these areas are included in the proposed MCZ areas published recently. http://wales.gov.uk/docs/desh/consul...rinesiteen.pdf. Ignore it at your peril. They propose banning anchoring, sea toilet discharge and installation of all sea marks. That will make navigation of the relevant sounds more hazardous than they already are.

Please, if you have ever sailed these areas, or plan to in the future, read the PDF & reply to the questionnaires. We need to point out how important nav aids & the ability to anchor are for leisure boaters. Onlt 3 or 4 MCZ will be chosen, we MUST make sure that none of them will needlessly ban boats from visiting these lovely spots.

Boats do VERY little damage to the environment (even the stinkies!) there is no benefit to banning us & we have a huge amount to lose if we ignore these over-zealous attempts to ban "rich, gin-swilling, yotties". Yup, that's how we tend to be seen by the land based bunny-huggers.

Apologies for double-posting, but this is IMPORTANT!

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Elessar is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    You will not be able to use Menai Straits, Pwllheli, Skomer, Bardsey & Dale if they get their way.

Well maybe not quite yet, but these areas are included in the proposed MCZ areas published recently. http://wales.gov.uk/docs/desh/consul...rinesiteen.pdf. Ignore it at your peril. They propose banning anchoring, sea toilet discharge and installation of all sea marks. That will make navigation of the relevant sounds more hazardous than they already are.

Please, if you have ever sailed these areas, or plan to in the future, read the PDF & reply to the questionnaires. We need to point out how important nav aids & the ability to anchor are for leisure boaters. Onlt 3 or 4 MCZ will be chosen, we MUST make sure that none of them will needlessly ban boats from visiting these lovely spots.

Boats do VERY little damage to the environment (even the stinkies!) there is no benefit to banning us & we have a huge amount to lose if we ignore these over-zealous attempts to ban "rich, gin-swilling, yotties". Yup, that's how we tend to be seen by the land based bunny-huggers.

Apologies for double-posting, but this is IMPORTANT!

the zones in italy are a nightmare. and what problem are they trying to fix?

blueglass is offline Registered User

These MCZ issues always sit uneasily with any boater who cares about our environment. Like most boaters I suspect, my natural reaction to environmental protection issues is one of support, but it just seems that every MCZ they dream up, is placed right where we want to go.
    At least the national parks on land, have enjoyment of these areas by PEOPLE firmly in mind. with footpaths etc etc. Marine zones seem dedicated to human exclusion. I can't help feeling that as searush says - boaters are not perceived as ordinary folk but some kind of rich playboy set, and as such we make an easy target. Our protests are then seen as "proving" we are anti environment.

So don't protest on that basis - make a case that boats do not harm the environment & there is NO EVIDENCE that they do. Boats are important to the economy of the area & the safety of life at sea is paramount.

But PLEASE DO NOT ignore this. I intend to make a case for safe navigation in my local areas over the next few weeks, I suggest that you all do the same.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    These MCZ issues always sit uneasily with any boater who cares about our environment. Like most boaters I suspect, my natural reaction to environmental protection issues is one of support, but it just seems that every MCZ they dream up, is placed right where we want to go.
    At least the national parks on land, have enjoyment of these areas by PEOPLE firmly in mind. with footpaths etc etc. Marine zones seem dedicated to human exclusion. I can't help feeling that as searush says - boaters are not perceived as ordinary folk but some kind of rich playboy set, and as such we make an easy target. Our protests are then seen as "proving" we are anti environment.
    I understand your dilemma, but ask your self the question, why are they needed? Don't support them just to be waving a green flag around.

If we cause a problem, lets fix the problem not ban boats - for all the reasons SR states.

The Welsh government are worse nannys than even blair's government.

Driving in wales now (although i haven't been to gogland for ages, so I am talking south wales and making assumptions about the north) is a barrage of restrictions, every junction has about 6 prohibitions, and the blunt instument of speed detection is used to excess.

You feel the difference as you cross the bridge, the drivers have been beaten into moronic submission, not thinking just driving (far too) slowly.

The pointless and wasteful assembly hasn't got all the power it wants so it has to do something. They are like the suited equivilent of a jobsworth in a yellow jacket.

If they start, the water around wales beautiful coastline will be ruined for many of us by these power hungry people.

Thanks for pointing it our SR, and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I understand your dilemma, but ask your self the question, why are they needed? Don't support them just to be waving a green flag around.
    Sorry - seem to have given the wrong impression. Certainly do not support them. As demonstrated in Studland bay they are based on at best highly dubious or more commonly non-existent evidence that boats are in any way a problem. These places are for us ALL to enjoy, not just the fish.
    Totally agree - must not be ignored!

Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Sorry - seem to have given the wrong impression. Certainly do not support them. As demonstrated in Studland bay they are based on at best highly dubious or more commonly non-existent evidence that boats are in any way a problem. These places are for us ALL to enjoy, not just the fish.
    Totally agree - must not be ignored!
    yep i got that you didn't support it we are violently agreeing

I was profering a justifacation for your conclusion despite your desire for green values so it was me that gave the wrong impression, think I needed an "and" not a "but" or something - who knows it's clear now!

Sorted!
    The "green" mindset is so strong with many folk, that they are blind to any scientific evidence which confounds their desire to "protect". They have to be made to look at the facts, not their emotions - always an uphill struggle for us firebreathing playboys with our rich men's toys!