Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Balearick is offline Registered User

Default Baffled by Anchor Gizmo

Took my SS predator out for the first time today, glorious fun even with a very choppy sea, and tried out a few things including anchoring... which is when I came across this gizmo which seems to be designed to prevent lowering the anchor! Only way I could get round it was to take the thing off, but what's the point of it?

When attempting to lower the anchor it does this, very efficiently...

So I took it to bits and now it works fine like this ...

..but I'd still like to know what it's for

It's called a chain stopper, it takes the anchoring load off the windlass. You're supposed to flip the gripper over to allow the chain to decend and then, once anchored, flip it back to the operating position to prevent the chain running out.

kashurst is offline Registered User

I think its an anchor chock and its working! its there in case the chain jumps of the windlass while at sea (it can happen) to stop the anchor dropping with all the chain as you are travelling along. As you figured out you take it out when you do want to use the anchor.

I tie mine to the steering wheel while at anchor to remind me to lift the anchor back up before driving off again

I also put a piece of rope through the anchor itself as I lost an anchor last summer as the shackle failed (my fault)

omega2 is offline Registered User

exactly that, in rough conditions and you bounding along, it is not impossible for the anchor to self launch, so a "keeper" is fitted to stop it doing just that. The winch would not be able to stop it going. Believe me!.

Quote Originally Posted by Balearick View Post
    ..but I'd still like to know what it's for
    It looks like a chain lock, to take the load off the winch at anchor (ie. you let out the amount of chain you want, then engage the lock and let out a bit of slack between the winch and the lock). It doesn't quite look meaty enough for that though, but it depends how it's attached to the boat. Personally I prefer a snubber rope, because you can fit it with rubber shock absorbers.

Hi, it's a safety divice to prevent unplanned deployment while " Tonkin along in SS fashion "
    I would leave it on during a long passage especially if choppy , and at night.

Problem is your wife will not thank you for breaking her nails removing it every time you anchor in high summer in front of crowds all watching .
    So in fine weather for " short" trip I undo mine in the marina .i think it's a mans job .
    You can of course use it to secure the anchor in a blow to ease strain on the winch ,when the bow is pitching
    Mine has a wire cable attached , so it stays on board , when not in use ,hangs in the chain locker on my SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Hi, it's a safety divice to prevent unplanned deployment while " Tonkin along in SS fashion "
    I would leave it on during a long passage especially if choppy , and at night.

Problem is your wife will not thank you for breaking her nails removing it every time you anchor in high summer in front of crowds all watching .
    So in fine weather for " short" trip I undo mine in the marina .i think it's a mans job .
    You can of course use it to secure the anchor in a blow to ease strain on the winch ,when the bow is pitching
    Mine has a wire cable attached , so it stays on board , when not in use ,hangs in the chain locker on my SS.
    So are you saying that each time you want to anchor you have to fiddle around removing the spring clip, then the hinge pin, then the flap, try not to drop any of them overboard, then repeat in reverse when you up anchor again? That sounds a bit of a faff, surely its much easier to use a wire strop with a carabiner? Does the flap not flip over to allow the anchor chain to release, as someone suggested above, then flip it back when the anchor is stowed?

DougH is offline Registered User

Balearick, I have the same stopper on my boat and it works very well when it is used correctly.

The 'flap' is engaged in the down position when anchoring with a slight slackening of the chain between the winch and stopper, so ensuring that the 'flap' is securely engaged.

When you wish to retreive the anchor take the slack up on the anchor chain and and flip the 'flap on its back.

What I cannot understand is the 'bottle scew' on the right of your picture.

Have you anymore photos.

Balearick is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    Does the flap not flip over to allow the anchor chain to release, as someone suggested above, then flip it back when the anchor is stowed?
    I suspect it should, but I tried doing that and it wouldn't budge. But now I see from the photos the reverse side of the flap has wear marks on it suggesting that's what it's been doing... so I'll have another go at flipping it over tomorrow.

I guess what baffled me more is that it's superfluous, as just going out of shot to the right that screw bar is the fixed end of an anchor snubber which is doing the job of taking the strain off the winch both underway and at anchor.

DougH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_H View Post
    Does the flap not flip over to allow the anchor chain to release, as someone suggested above, then flip it back when the anchor is stowed?
    It should flip over onto its back, its the bottle screw device that is stopping this movement and its an attachment I do not recognise.