Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DougH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Balearick View Post

I guess what baffled me more is that it's superfluous, as just going out of shot to the right that screw bar is the fixed end of an anchor snubber which is doing the job of taking the strain off the winch both underway and at anchor.
    The stopper is a Lewmar product and is fitted by SS, but the screw bar looks to be an after fitment.

DougH is offline Registered User

Balearick, where are you berthed?

I am out in Cala d'Or this coming Friday for a week and if you are near perhaps we could meet and put 2 heads to the problem.

Hi, the flap is difficult to flip ,stiff and depends on wether under it which link is present ,a vertical/ horizontal .
    Mine has a wire on the pin and the flap , so it will not end up over the side. The pin has a ball at the end , not a hole and split pin,like in the pic.
    Also if the anchor runs out fast or vibrates it flips back , and you end up filling the the locker up not running out chain.
    This then is embarrassing when you end up Dragging in a small breeze at a busy anchorage .Or when the windlass is pulling up the excess slack chain before the anchor moves .
    To be honest it spends most of its life out hanging in the locker , so not really a Faff .
    When we go out my teenage son drops the bowline and removes the " anchor pin/flap" . So when we arrive we can " cooly anchor" .
    As i said if it blows up on the return then we may put the pin Flap back ,
    It's probably out now while the boats in the marina ?

Balearick is offline Registered User

I suspect it should, but I tried doing that and it wouldn't budge. But now I see from the photos the reverse side of the flap has wear marks on it suggesting that's what it's been doing... so I'll have another go at flipping it over tomorrow.

I guess what baffled me more is that it's superfluous, as just going out of shot to the right that screw bar is the fixed end of an anchor snubber which is doing the job of taking the strain off the winch both underway and at anchor.
    Well, with some extreme effort it did flip over. Definitely not something SWMBO can do without breaking all her nails... so I'll leave it like this then Especially since just after it is an anchor snubber anyway...

Well, with some extreme effort it did flip over. Definitely not something SWMBO can do without breaking all her nails... so I'll leave it like this then Especially since just after it is an anchor snubber anyway...
    If you flip it back when the anchor is fully retrieved, then wont it just sit loosely on a random part of the chain, and only "bite" if the clutch fails in the winch and some chain is released? If so, then when you come to drop anchor, it should just flip over easily?

Is that a rubber shock absorber built into the chain further along, or is it just shadow, I can't work it out?

mikef is online now Registered User

Yup no point in having 2 chain stoppers especially as the forward one seems to be quite a meaty thing. How easy is it to take that one off?