Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Lakesailor is offline Registered User

It's a shame to say, but this shows that when ordering stuff for a deadline you always need to pull it forward so suppliers don't realise you have some time in hand.
    It happens time and time again.
    Suppliers get that date into their mind as "desirable" and then "if possible".

Hope it fits. If there are adjustments to be made after you cruise, that means shipping it off to the other end of the country again.
    People who buy sails made in China are risking even more hassle.

Can't see it myself.

mdonnelly is offline Registered User

Ordered a genoa from them on a similar basis in that had a trip planned leaving on a Friday morning. They promised sail would be there on time and sure enough arrived on the Thursday. Excellent service and sail still in excellent condition 4 years on.

Its sad, but I am of the view that the only way to make sure that you have something when you need it is to lie to the supplier about the date i.e. tell them you need it in March if you want it in May.
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    People who buy sails made in China are risking even more hassle.

Can't see it myself.
    Not neccessarily.

I had sails from China. The boat was in Falmouth and the sails needed some alteration. They were sent to China, altered and sent back to me in 8 days.

Some would say that is faster than you would get it done in the UK!
    I may be wrong, but I'm not confused.
    ⛵ Ex-SolentBoy

lustyd is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SolentBoy View Post
    Its sad, but I am of the view that the only way to make sure that you have something when you need it is to lie to the supplier about the date i.e. tell them you need it in March if you want it in May.
    Why lie to them - Crusader don't give a stuff when your holiday is, they just know that the latest day (i.e. the day they will aim for) is the day you stated. From their perspective, if you wanted it earlier you would have asked for it earlier. If another customer says they want it 2 days before your date then they immediately get priority, it's not rocket science.

That said, if they don't deliver by the deadline then I'm interested to hear about it. As I said in my other other post though, there is a risk that once the sail turns up all interest in replying to this thread will be lost and the reputation is forever tarnished for no good reason.
    Vivacity 20, South Coast
    http://yachtlivemagic.blogspot.com

chinita is offline Registered User

If there is a genuine time element involved, and as an example, a cruise had to be cancelled or postponed due to late delivery the phrase 'Time is of the Essence' inserted into the Contract would be grounds for Breach of Contract if the agreed date was not met.

If the supplier is made aware of this, and the certainty of a claim for consequential loss highlighted, that may result in a certain focussing of their minds.

Don't know if it would work in China tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggy View Post
    I have posted only facts. I will also post when the sail turns up, or if indeed it doesn't within the timescales we agreed.
    I've already made it clear that I will provide an update.

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lustyd View Post
    Why lie to them - Crusader don't give a stuff when your holiday is,
    Pretty obvious really. It makes sure you get what you wantwhen you need it.

snooks is offline Registered User

I personally don't see the benefit of posting the saga on here at the moment. Ok if they have let you down and the sails don't arrive by the deadline then you have a reason to come on here and complain.

At the moment they are still good to their word, so what exactly is the problem?

Gary their head sailmaker has been ill for a week. I know this because I too am waiting for my sails to be returned. They have to be on the boat for when we put her in the water tomorrow.

They know this and it will happen. Yes they push the deadline to the limit sometimes, but the sails have always arrived by it.

When they arrive, you'll be happy with them and all this will be forgotten.....hopefully
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    I personally don't see the benefit of posting the saga on here at the moment. Ok if they have let you down and the sails don't arrive by the deadline then you have a reason to come on here and complain.

At the moment they are still good to their word, so what exactly is the problem?
    1. Because they let me down on Friday. And could come up with no convincing plan as to how they were going to get the sails delivered to me when the sail had not been finished (despite me having paid in full for it on the basis that it was finished).

2. They were not good to their word of having finished the sail. So no need to look confused.

I've had to chase this sail at every opportunity (see first post). If I have to go a bit 'public' to avoid having my holiday trashed, I'm fine with that. I've only stated facts, not opinion or sentiment. Those facts speak for themselves and if you want to interpret them as a 'saga', that's your choice.

Someone further up this post asked why I had not used a local sailmaker. The answer is simple... it was on the strength of previous threads about their (Crusader's) service.
    Last edited by Shuggy; 30-04-12 at 13:53. Reason: Clarification

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast