Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guapa View Post
    And if OP had waited till the deadline had passed, his cruise would have been scuppered.
    No doubt leading to comments (from some) along the lines of 'why didn't you act or speak out sooner?'

If the thread on here prodded Crusader along to get a result for OP - good for him. And I think that is what he wanted to achieve with this thread.
    But now with the negative headline on Google?

That's not on and could be damaging unfairly.

The op says he ordered "on the condition that it was delivered in time for a planned trip on 2nd May." Then seems to have moved the goalposts to the 27th of April.

Then fallen out with them because that didn't happen.

In my opinion, if he changed the date and there were difficulties he is right to be annoyed, but it should have stayed private. At least until after the event-and the use of a totally negative headline should have perhaps been avoided.

I am not saying the OP is not right, but I think his method has too far reaching an effect. I.E. it (unintentionally) goes beyond his own particular problem.

Will they deliver on time? would have been a better headline, combined with an email to the company to point it out he had posted it.
    Last edited by jonic; 01-05-12 at 11:48.
    John Rodriguez Yachts. Cruising & Bluewater Yachts www.jryachts.com

I'm going to answer the OP because there's so much going on here ...

I can see the OPs point - he placed an order for a sail in January .. nothing then happened for 2 months and it was 3 months before the boat was measured ... that perceived delay doesn't fill me with confidence.
    It seems that Crusader managed to turn around the order in under 2 weeks - that seems pretty fast to me - especially at this time of year when they will (hopefully) be busy ...
    Where's the shortfall ?? Customer uncertainty - a 3 month "delay" in measuring to start with followed by a lack of clarity in order progress does little for customer comfort.
    IMHO Crusader should have booked a date to measure at the time of order placement or shortly afterwards - They probably had it in hand - but the customer didn't know that.
    They probably had a "build" slot in mind too - and could've communicated that - or an approximate time to the customer (ie Late april would've done). Perhaps they are a little more reactive though and cannot be that certain - at which point the customer doesn't know for certain and his plans may go out the window ... not a position I'd want to be in myself - it is difficult when your ideas/plans are at the mercy of someone else.

What does this thread tell me - Crusader are a good sail loft - but don't rely on their communications to keep you updated - and preferably try and leave yourself some leeway in timescale !!

I'm glad it's worked out ok for the OP so far - do come back and tell us what the sail is like once you've had a chance to try it

I'm amazed at how this thread keeps running. I'm still trying to get my head around the 3,700 price tag mentioned in the first post!

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    I just used the phone, phoned Crusader, and I got my sails on the date I wanted them.

Silly me?
    you've know the owner for years by your own admission i thought? so perhaps you get 'special' treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    I just used the phone, phoned Crusader, and I got my sails on the date I wanted them.

Silly me?
    If you read the OP again - carefully this time - you'll see that they had a "delivery date" booked in that wasn't met ...

Perhaps Crusader didn't agree to this delivery slot - perhaps they did - perhaps the OP misunderstood - whatever - the OP believed the sails were to be delivered on a date and they weren't.

There appear to be a number of customers who have had their orders processed far quicker than the OP - we don't know why - perhaps they were off the shelf or used a different machine/material that was more available ?

snooks is offline Registered User

I thought I did, but looking at the majority of experiences of other peeps, it seems every Tom, Dick and Harry get the same good service.
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Lakesailor is offline Registered User

Even if not, the fact that someone gets good service shouldn't negate the fact that someone else doesn't.
    I can't see the problem.
    The OP has been very measured and had a beef.

I will say again that he made a basic mistake in telling a supplier the real date he needed the product.

So. Small suppliers have variable service levels. Play the game and protect yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakesailor View Post
    Even if not, the fact that someone gets good service shouldn't negate the fact that someone else doesn't.
    I can't see the problem.
    The OP has been very measured and had a beef.

I will say again that he made a basic mistake in telling a supplier the real date he needed the product.
    I agree.
    An agreed delivery date early April would have been more appropriate.
    1 week to allow for a possible slip of the delivery date.
    1 week to fit the sails and a test sail.
    1 week for possible changes/repair/re-cuts.

Unfortunately I've also experienced the JIT approach with another sailmaker a few years ago. I had to take the day off work the day before my holiday to run down and collect my sail. The luff of the sail had also been measured slightly too long and caused halyard wrap and wrecked top roller reefing bearing. So I have some sympathy with the OP's frustration , although it seems to be almost the norm in the marine industry.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi View Post
    Unfortunately I've also experienced the JIT approach with another sailmaker a few years ago. I had to take the day off work the day before my holiday to run down and collect my sail. The luff of the sail had also been measured slightly too long and caused halyard wrap and wrecked top roller reefing bearing. So I have some sympathy with the OP's frustration , although it seems to be almost the norm in the marine industry.
    have you ordered new sail's for the boat jimi ?

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast