Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

jimbaerselman is online now Registered User

Default Anchoring Restrictions in Spain?

Is anyone aware of how anchoring restrictions in Posidonia reserves are being handled in Spain this year? I've heard that buoys have been removed in some areas. So what happens if someone anchors in a reserve? Carefully choosing the sandy patch, of course. And have the reserves or anchoring restrictions been extended?
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

I don't know if they are doing anything differently here this year, but in previous years the "park ranger" stands on shore and shouts at you if you are anchored where you shouldn't be.

He doesn't have a boat, just a Fiat Panda to drive around in, so its best to cover up your boat name and registration marks just in case you are spotted.
    Today's Weather Forecast: Scorchio.

jimbaerselman is online now Registered User

Default Fines for anchoring on Spanish grass!

OK, I've just spent a session with Sue, of Noonsite, who received a report of someone being fined for anchoring this year. It's possible the person fined didn't know of Posidonia reserves. Sue has summarised the situation at http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2012-04-30-3

So, if you're anchoring in one of the listed reserves (see Sue's post) - keep off the grass!
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

Last year we anchored for a few days in Cala Fornells, Menorca. In 2009, there had been buoys here from the Posidonia LIFE Project which you were supposed to reserve in advance (we didn't - and just made up some stuff about the website not working - they then let us pick a buoy!). We tried to reserve a buoys on the website in 2011 - but that seemed to be broken.

Anyway, when we arrived (August), there were no buoys and boats were pretty much anchored all over the place. I did not see anyone patrolling - no one came to visit us. We just parked in an area where there were lots of other boats.

You will want to avoid the grass - if only to give your anchor a chance to dig in. However you will have a hard time trying to find a patch of sand big enough so that none of your chain touches any grass anywhere in most of the places.
    My boat is for sale http://bristolcutter.com

JFowler is offline Registered User

In Espalmador (Ibiza) there were no bouys last autumn & none in April this year. Everyone was anchoring without restriction.
    In Mallorca this year we've been into bays which the Pilot says have Posieden Bouys and there are a few old bouys, but they've not been maintained & certainly couldn't be booked.
    It seems to me that the system no longer operates.

John

The designation of these particular areas as reserves when the grass grows all round the balearics has allways struck me as odd. The bouys when present were not anchored by the length of warp recommended by the makers of the sea screw anchors they used, as I found out to my very considerable cost. You are far safer lying to your own anchor. I suspect that the enthusiasm for these particular environmental protection areas has waned in proportion to the funding which provided holiday jobs for quite a number of students none of whom had any relationship to the officials responsible. However face saving regulations are clearly still in force to permit fining of those who upset officials. NB Most helpful comment from one of said officials viewing my boat lying on its side against a rock 'you must be sure that you do not spill any oil or we will fine you'

Default Fines

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    Is anyone aware of how anchoring restrictions in Posidonia reserves are being handled in Spain this year? I've heard that buoys have been removed in some areas. So what happens if someone anchors in a reserve? Carefully choosing the sandy patch, of course. And have the reserves or anchoring restrictions been extended?
    I have just been told that five boats in Soler in Majorca have been fined 3000 Euros for mooring in the bay. No one told them about the change and
    'some'officials have told them not to pay, viva Espana!.
    Apparently they are trying to stop it in other places around the island .

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind33 View Post
    I have just been told that five boats in Soler in Majorca have been fined 3000 Euros for mooring in the bay. No one told them about the change and
    'some'officials have told them not to pay, viva Espana!.
    Apparently they are trying to stop it in other places around the island .
    Anyone got more info
    beserksail

Default Fines

Quote Originally Posted by beserksail View Post
    Anyone got more info
    The info I have put up is off the Port d' Pollenca board of yesterday.
    Cheers

JFowler is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind33 View Post
    The info I have put up is off the Port d' Pollenca board of yesterday.
    Cheers
    We're anchored in P Pollenca and had heard the same rumour, however we've a contact who's been anchored in Soller since Wed without any problems. Apparently the issue is with illegally laid moorings- anchoring by visitors (in transit) in fine.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast