Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Salish Sea
    Posts
    828

    Default

    It's Dylan testing both his new long camera lens and the motorised duck punt.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    6,578

    Default

    Looks like the forerunners to the Portsmouth Harbour patrol chasing a boat over into the Small Boat Channel!
    Smile 'n wave boys, smile 'n wave.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,280

    Default

    Protecting the flying boats based at White Cross Bay ?
    Mark

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wigan/Windremere
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Their other boat 'Merlin' (with mounting for Bren gun) may be found here. (part way across in a straight line from the end of Belle isle to Miller Ground)



    Edited to add: And before anyone says anything-I was in the 10 MPH (knot) zone!
    Last edited by IRC Kevin; 30-04-12 at 16:02.
    Bayliner 2855 'Teachers' Pet'
    http://www.intrescue.org/

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Near Here
    Posts
    35,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landlockedpirate View Post
    Protecting the flying boats based at White Cross Bay ?
    You have it.
    Better than being in Warminster with a broom handle.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    When a boat location is given via sonar it's always a bad sign...

    Looks like a Vickers gun in the photo.

    Anything to do with T.E.Lawrence ( of Arabia ) ? he was a fan of high speed patrol boats...

    Could also be a prototype of Bucklers Hards' answer to complaints about food and overnight fees.

    Edit,

    I thought there were rumours of Sunderland flying boats and possibly other aircraft down there, apart from the recovered Wellington ?

    This also applies to Poole Bay, some Sunderlands were apparently towed out & scuttled, my father ( an aircraft engineer ) came across a main undercarriage wheel which had washed up in Studland Bay...
    Last edited by Seajet; 30-04-12 at 16:17.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Near Here
    Posts
    35,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC Kevin View Post
    Their other boat 'Merlin' (with mounting for Bren gun) may be found here. (part way across in a straight line from the end of Belle isle to Miller Ground)
    I will have passed over that this afternoon.

    This looks like a different boat. (Gun mount) It seems to be at Miller Ground in this pic.




    You'll be pleased to know they are replacing the Southern jetty there.




  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wigan/Windremere
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    When a boat location is given via sonar it's always a bad sign...

    Looks like a Vickers gun in the photo.

    Anything to do with T.E.Lawrence ( of Arabia ) ? he was a fan of high speed patrol boats...

    Could also be a prototype of Bucklers Hards' answer to complaints about food and overnight fees.

    Edit,

    I thought there were rumours of Sunderland flying boats and possibly other aircraft down there, apart from the recovered Wellington ?

    This also applies to Poole Bay, some Sunderlands were apparently towed out & scuttled, my father ( an aircraft engineer ) came across a main undercarriage wheel which had washed up in Studland Bay...
    The Wellington was Loch Ness (not Bowness).

    As for Windermere- I can guarantee that there are no planes on the lake bed (unless they're model ones.) Have found one of the lighters they used to remove the munitions from the Sunderlands though.

    Bayliner 2855 'Teachers' Pet'
    http://www.intrescue.org/

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Nr Kendal
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC Kevin View Post
    The Wellington was Loch Ness (not Bowness).

    As for Windermere- I can guarantee that there are no planes on the lake bed (unless they're model ones.) Have found one of the lighters they used to remove the munitions from the Sunderlands though.


    Just south of High Wray Bay you should find :-

    1 Lancaster bomber
    1 Bristol Beaufighter
    1 Chance Vought Crusader
    1 'Grenville' sutcliffe destroyer
    2 sutcliffe submarines
    1 vosper 'Mercury'
    several small yachts

    All the product of a happy (& destructive) childhood

    Fascinaating sonar pics - any old steamboats from the early 1900's ?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    West Sussex / Hants
    Posts
    21,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IRC Kevin View Post
    The Wellington was Loch Ness (not Bowness).

    As for Windermere- I can guarantee that there are no planes on the lake bed (unless they're model ones.) Have found one of the lighters they used to remove the munitions from the Sunderlands though.

    IRC Kevin,

    yes you're right about the Wellington of course, a particularly prattish moment on my part !

    Still in hope for the Sunderlands in Poole Bay & maybe elsewhere though, I do suspect there are aeroplanes in Windermere, will have to look up the books etc.

    Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •