Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Computer

Default Fuel Computer

Hi there,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing available as a fuel computer for a boat?

I found one on e-Bay, but it was in the style of the 1950's and not quite what I want!

If you know of a GPS Plotter that would accept a fuel flow input to give a MPG reading even better (although plotter budget is a couple of hundred quid not thousands...)

No, not bought a boat yet, but some of the ones I am looking at have very large engines and finding the most economical speed will be of much benefit....
    Why can't we work 2 days a week and boat the other 5????

The navman gps plotter (mine is a 5505i) accepts a fuel flow input from a navman fuel flow meter.... the sensor is about 80. It will give you fuel consumption in mpg, range of fuel left and fuel remaining.....assuming you accurately tell it how much fuel you start with. This is all for a petrol engine.... if you have a diesel, it will still do all the above, but you need an additional kit on the fuel return pipe to tank, even the diesel kit is not overly expensive.... about 150 iirc.

Lowrance ditto. I took mine off when I saw how much I was using at WOT

PCUK is offline Registered User

Floscan up to 2000hp.

jfm is offline Registered User

Loads of modern plotters will display the info. Tricky part might be collecting the data. With petrol you can get a simple floscan flow measuring transducer. With older diesel you need the floscan flow and return transducers. All as explained above. But with a modern diesel you will already have the fuel data sloshing around on the engine's electronics, most likely in j1939 format and you can buy a small black box to translate it to NMEA 2000 to display on most modern plotters. A translator is Maretron J2k1000 - get one for each engine. Or if you have volvo engines they do a proprietary NMEA2000 converter, and/or sell you a software upgrade to display the fuel data in the LCD windows in their tachos, and/or sell you an EVC display which plugs and plays

rbcoomer is offline Registered User

Reading the threads on the various boats you have looked at, I'm guessing you are considering as a retro-fit for a <25' Sportsboat - probably petrol?

I purchased one of the NorthStar flow meters when I first started with the boat. I paid about 150, but believe the units (F210?) are discontinued and quite hard to find now? I think you can get equally accurate data by keeping a log of where you go, speeds, distance traveled and by topping off the tanks to see how much you have actually used whenever possible. I now use both.
    S.Devon Pub Meets: ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3853165
    Fletcher Rally: swfbr.org.uk

oGaryo is online now Registered User

I have one of these on my Navman but to be honest, you have to remember (or in my case, be bothered) to reset the amount of fuel in the tank every time you fill up... you also need to calibrate the thing every now and then e.g. if the boat's bum gets hairy, consumption isn't going to be the same as when you calibrated it with a clean bum.... my advice is save your money and put it to good use by buying more fuel and apply your focus to getting the best speed for rpm instead should you need to watch the fuel consumption
    Please donate: Breast Cancer research http://www.justgiving.com/Gary-Pearson4

Yes - I think we'll end up with sub 25' petrol (if I could find a quick diesel in budget that would be the choice - but I can't).

I don't want to do the averaging thing - what I want it for is when at cruise I can fiddle with the throttle and trim to try and get the optimum mpg - which will tell me what speed to cruise at.

Of course I realise that as the bum gets dirty or wave conditions alter that figure may change, but with instant figures available I can re-set my optimum cruise....

+ gives me summat to do when on a passage rather than a blast round the bay.

Garmin chartplotter linked to NMEA2000 with F/F sensor gives me any numbers I need, including fuel flow at any given configuration. Clever stuff. Total cost will depend on what sort of chartplotter you choose.

I had a Standard Horizon CP180 on last boat - and it was brilliant for the price.

Might go CP300 next time - does anyone know whether this one accepts a fuel flow input - and if so, does it have to be a certain one?

Thanks