Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frustrated......

........I'm getting the hump now. The weekend was a blow out, literally. Now I'm back at work the wearher would be perfect to get things moving. Looking at the weekend the winds are rising again! Not only frustrating but also starting to get expensive!

Someone sort the weather out please!!!!!!!

Ru88ell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    Not only frustrating but also starting to get expensive!
    Could be worse, you could be spending 300/hr and only getting a wake to look at.

Are you still at Deacons? Crikey. That is frustrating.

We're hoping to go in on Friday and get to the mooring with a weekend of sailing and shaking down, but I've just checked XC weather and the outlook is for snow over Friday night and Saturday morning!

You're looking to head East aren't you? So the evening tide on Saturday might suit and it'll even come with lighter rain (though its far too early to tell really).

Still at Deacons, although they are being very good. I'm hoping to try again this weekend. If thats a no go I'll try and have a word with Hamble HM to see if I can get a visitors mooring.
    Tides this weekend are at stupid oclock in the morning. I'm not going to chance anything in the dark. If I have to punch a bit of tide on the motor so be it. Probably have to hang around to get over the bar too, hey ho you can't have everything! I have lost all faith in online weather sites. Only vaguely reliable forcast is Met Office the day before.
    Last edited by BarryH; 01-05-12 at 11:47.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
    Still at Deacons, although they are being very good. I'm hoping to try again this weekend. If thats a no go I'll try and have a word with Hamble HM to see if I can get a visitors mooring.
    Tides this weekend are at stupid oclock in the morning. I'm not going to chance anything in the dark. If I have to punch a bit of tide on the motor so be it. Probably have to hang around to get over the bar too, hey ho you can't have everything! I have lost all faith in online weather sites. Only vaguely reliable forcast is Met Office the day before.
    You will be able to get into Chichester OK without hanging about waiting for the tide unless it's rough with an onshore wind. Then hanging about is not an attractive option anyway.

The entrance is well lit and so are the main channels. Thorney channel is unlit but after the bit off Pilsey island is straight and wide and there is a good wide centre channel between the moorings off the sailing club.
    The area above the moorings and below the Prinsted and Nutborne channels is not a bad place to drop the hook, sort out the boat and kill a bit of time but it's not what you would call sheltered.

I'd not go looking for your mooring in the dark ! They are Ok when marked with a boat or your dinghy but otherwise next to impossible to see in the dark.

Its not easy to find your way up to the boat yard slip in the dark either!

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    I'd not go looking for your mooring in the dark ! They are Ok when marked with a boat or your dinghy but otherwise next to impossible to see in the dark.
    I'd lend my BigFeckOffLight except that I doubt Barry would have the right socket to plug it into.

Pete

LW Pompey is 1650(BST) on Saturday. For trips to Chi, I would leave at LW. Maybe two hourrs before if you think it'll be a slow one. This way you'll be going over the bar on a rising tide with plenty of clearance. It'll be going dark by then but you'll be cold wet and knackered anyway, so hang a left into Sparkes and get a good hot shower. Then have all of Sunday to go and pick up the mooring.

I dont know if you are in deep water anyway at Deacons but on the basis you probably are, why not leave at 1600 and use the last of the ebb to take you down the river as well.

Loose plan at the mo is to leave deacons around 0430 sunday, yeah I know!, and motor down the hamble, should be getting a bit lighter by then. Won't raise a stitch until out on southampton water. Looking at the winds that are forcast, if you can believe it, I'll be going south of Horse Sand fort. I reckon this will put me on a better approach for the entrance. I'll asses things closer to the time. I had a mad idea of going via Bembridge, but I have family matters to attend to on monday.

Angele is offline Registered User

Barry

I popped into the Force 4 chandlery at Deacons on Saturday to buy a turning block. The Port Hamble store didn't have one in stock, but they kindly rang the Deacons store to check they had one. So, off I popped to Bursledon.

Got talking to the chap serving behind the counter about the weather. He mentioned that a couple had been in the store that morning who had just bought a new boat and had been sleeping on board on Friday night. Their observation to the shop assistant was that it had been very noisy overnight.

Bearing in mind that this was all before the wind picked up on Saturday afternoon, I suspect that couple might have gone on to realise that the previous evening was calm by comparison.

I did wonder whether he was talking about you.

No wasn't me. I didn't arrive until sat morn and I know i have a split personality, but I'm sure I was on my own. Then again, your never alone with Schizophrenia.

I didn't notice it being noisey, but then that must have had something to do with the visit to the Jolly Boatman.........