Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SpottyDog5 View Post
    He hasn't stated what the application is, for all we know it could be holding the handle on the kettle
    Mystic Meg tells me it's for his trim tab actuator, and he can't launch without them as his boat won't be watertight.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...40#post3514440

Andy
    Free guitar lessons: www.justinguitar.com

oGaryo is online now Registered User

sorry for my absence on this one... just to clear a couple of things up, the threads aren't load bearing, they just keep the cap in place to seal the top of the actuator.. any load would be from the Trim Tab, up through the actuator and on to the bracket, in effect squeezing the cap between the main body of the actuator anf the transom mounting bracket... it's when there's no load that the leak potential in to the actuator is apparent i.e. that's when I need the nuts to hold the cap in place.

Regarding the comment of water ingress in to the boat itself, that's nothing more than there being a hole in the hull for the lead to go through.. just need to fill it with marine sealent once the jobs complete.

In shourt, I am more than comfortable in using Spotty D's method in this instance.

cheers
    Beauty's in the eye of the beer holder

btw, thanks again for those that have taken the time to explain the imperial thread sizes.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312088 it's something I wrote to document stripping down the actuator, the first photo should make it clear what the nuts are there for... do remember that when underway the pressure is upwards pushing the three components together rather than pulling them apart.. besides, if the nut were to fail the outcome is nothing more than a flappy Trim Tab so not life threatening..

Quote Originally Posted by misterg View Post
    Mystic Meg tells me it's for his trim tab actuator, and he can't launch without them as his boat won't be watertight.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...40#post3514440

Andy
    Miss Meg is a little minx isn't she nothing more than not launching as it'd be folly where the actuator is concerned.. needs to be watertight before we go out to play i.e. I need to secure the cap so it doesn't start leaking again

Quote Originally Posted by colhel View Post
    3/16" is 4.7mm

The UNF size would be 10-32

The UNC would be 10-24

8-32 UNC would be smaller an outside dia of 4.15mm
    The UNF would be 8-36
    On reading this advice I spotted some stainless steel nuts going cheap on Ebay sized 8-32 and thought that'd be about right even though they weren't domed.. I purchased them as I thought they may come in useful... 10 of them for 99p was cheap so no real loss if they went in the bin.

Recieved this email from Lenco tonight and the nuts arrived earlier today:

The size is #8-32. I hope this is helpful.

Christain Schirmer

Senior Customer Service

Technical Support

Warranty

4700 SE Municipal Ct., Stuart, FL 34997

772.288.2662 ext 110 / 772.288.2566 fax

christain@lencomarine.com

thanks again for your advice, looks like it's helped me get hold of the correct sized nuts ready for fitment tomorrow evening

pappaecho is offline Registered User

Arthurs Chandlery in Gosport seem to have every thread known to man including UNF and UNC, as well as metric cycle and imperial and whitworth.Almost certainly they will be able to sort you out!
    Def: Yachting - a way of spending the kids inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by pappaecho View Post
    Arthurs Chandlery in Gosport seem to have every thread known to man including UNF and UNC, as well as metric cycle and imperial and whitworth.Almost certainly they will be able to sort you out!
    nice to know for an american sports cruiser.. will come in handy no doubt. thanks for posting

colhel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by oGaryo View Post
    On reading this advice I spotted some stainless steel nuts going cheap on Ebay sized 8-32 and thought that'd be about right even though they weren't domed.. I purchased them as I thought they may come in useful... 10 of them for 99p was cheap so no real loss if they went in the bin.

Recieved this email from Lenco tonight and the nuts arrived earlier today:

thanks again for your advice, looks like it's helped me get hold of the correct sized nuts ready for fitment tomorrow evening
    No problem Gary.